Re: Suggestion: Which Binary?

Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
From: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Suggestion: Which Binary?
Date: 2006-03-31 19:46:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Dear PostgreSQL Hackers,

I recently ran into an issue where I was having trouble compiling
PostgreSQL with PL/Perl. Although Mac OS X 10.4 comes with a dynamic
Perl, I long ago compiled my own Perl, which is static. So /usr/bin/
perl was my static Perl, and /usr/bin/perl5.8.6 is the stock Perl.
But of course, PostgreSQL's configure script was just executing
'perl' and finding it in the path, thus getting my static Perl which,
of course, wouldn't work.

I got 'round this by temporarily moving things around:

rm /usr/bin/perl
ln /usr/bin/perl5.8.6 /usr/bin/perl
./configure --with-perl
rm /usr/bin/perlo
ln /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.8 /usr/bin/perl

But that's a PITA. I'd much rather have been able to tell configure
*which* perl to use:

./configure --with-perl=/usr/bin/perl5.8.6

Would it be possible to add support for an optional argument to the
PL/* options (--with-perl,--with-python, --with-tcl) so that we can
get it to use the correct binary without having to resort to any
shenanigans?

Just an idea.

Thanks!

David

> But that's a PITA. I'd much rather have been able to tell configure
> *which* perl to use:
>
> ./configure --with-perl=/usr/bin/perl5.8.6
>
> Would it be possible to add support for an optional argument to the PL/*
> options (--with-perl,--with-python, --with-tcl) so that we can get it to
> use the correct binary without having to resort to any shenanigans?

Like passing PERL=/usr/bin/perl5.8.6 to configure?

--
Seneca Cunningham
scunning(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info