Re: PQprint under Windows

Lists: pgsql-interfaces
From: Christoph Zwerschke <cito(at)online(dot)de>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PQprint under Windows
Date: 2006-02-06 00:13:42
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I tried to compile PyGreSQL under Windows.
Everything seems to work, except some functions which are using PQprint.
Whenever these functions are called, I get a Windows exception.

I am using the following versions:

Windows XP SP2
Python: 2.4.2
PostgreSQL 8.1.2
PyGreSQL 3.8

For compilation I used MinGW and Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003, both
work fine, but both have the same problem mentioned above.

Can anybody confirm that PQprint is or was ever running under Windows?
The 8.1 docu does not say that it is deprecated or not running under
Windows. Can it be a bug?

I also noticed that the HTML code in PQprint is not very clean and
sometimes even wrong, e.g. it has <centre> instead of <center>.

-- Christoph

> I tried to compile PyGreSQL under Windows.
> Everything seems to work, except some functions which are using PQprint.
> Whenever these functions are called, I get a Windows exception.
>
> I am using the following versions:
>
> Windows XP SP2
> Python: 2.4.2
> PostgreSQL 8.1.2
> PyGreSQL 3.8
>
> For compilation I used MinGW and Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003, both
> work fine, but both have the same problem mentioned above.
>
> Can anybody confirm that PQprint is or was ever running under Windows?
> The 8.1 docu does not say that it is deprecated or not running under
> Windows. Can it be a bug?

It should work. What exception are you getting, and what line in the C
file is it complaining about?

> I also noticed that the HTML code in PQprint is not very clean and
> sometimes even wrong, e.g. it has <centre> instead of <center>.

Fixed in 8.1.X.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

>> Can anybody confirm that PQprint is or was ever running under Windows?
>> The 8.1 docu does not say that it is deprecated or not running under
>> Windows. Can it be a bug?
>
> It should work. What exception are you getting, and what line in the C
> file is it complaining about?

I'll probably need to compile it again with appropriate debug options to
find that out.

>> I also noticed that the HTML code in PQprint is not very clean and
>> sometimes even wrong, e.g. it has <centre> instead of <center>.
>
> Fixed in 8.1.X.

Thanks. If you're already at it, there are also two occurrences of

<caption align=high>

"high" is actually not a possible attribute value here. What was meant
is probably "top". Also, the attribute should be put in double quotes:

<caption align="top">

This will allow to further process the output with XML tools.

-- Christoph

>> I tried to compile PyGreSQL under Windows.
>> Everything seems to work, except some functions which are using PQprint.
>> Whenever these functions are called, I get a Windows exception.
>> Can anybody confirm that PQprint is or was ever running under Windows?
>> The 8.1 docu does not say that it is deprecated or not running under
>> Windows. Can it be a bug?
>
> It should work. What exception are you getting, and what line in the C
> file is it complaining about?

Here is the exception I am getting:
pythonw.exe caused an Invalid Handle at location 7c974ed1 in module
ntdll.dll.

Registers:
eax=0021f6a0 ebx=00000000 ecx=0021f6e8 edx=7c91eb94 esi=7c38b528
edi=00000000
eip=7c974ed1 esp=0021f6a0 ebp=0021f6f0 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na
po nc
cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003b gs=0000
efl=00000246

Call stack:
7C974ED1 ntdll.dll:7C974ED1 RtlRaiseStatus
7C95243C ntdll.dll:7C95243C RtlInitializeSListHead
7C91104B ntdll.dll:7C91104B RtlEnterCriticalSection
77C1174F msvcrt.dll:77C1174F fwrite
6311321C libpq.dll:6311321C pg_encoding_to_char
63114007 libpq.dll:63114007 pg_encoding_to_char
63114067 libpq.dll:63114067 pg_encoding_to_char
631094A2 libpq.dll:631094A2 PQprint
10003DC3 _pg.dll:10003DC3 _onexit dllcrt1.c:183
_onexit_t _onexit(
_onexit_t pfn = &0x00a7a110

This happened when I was using the libpq.dll from the official binary
distribution of PostgreSQL 8.1.2. When I compiled libpq.dll myself to
find out more, amazingly everything worked fine, there was no exception.
I compiled with nls enabled and without, both works. Only the dll which
comes with the Win installer causes the problem. Any ideas what could be
the problem here?

>> I also noticed that the HTML code in PQprint is not very clean and
>> sometimes even wrong, e.g. it has <centre> instead of <center>.
>
> Fixed in 8.1.X.

As already mentioned, there is also a wrong attribute align=high and as
I just saw, also align=left and align=right attributes without quotes.

-- Christoph

> >> Can anybody confirm that PQprint is or was ever running under Windows?
> >> The 8.1 docu does not say that it is deprecated or not running under
> >> Windows. Can it be a bug?
> >
> > It should work. What exception are you getting, and what line in the C
> > file is it complaining about?
>
> I'll probably need to compile it again with appropriate debug options to
> find that out.

OK.

> >> I also noticed that the HTML code in PQprint is not very clean and
> >> sometimes even wrong, e.g. it has <centre> instead of <center>.
> >
> > Fixed in 8.1.X.
>
> Thanks. If you're already at it, there are also two occurrences of
>
> <caption align=high>
>
> "high" is actually not a possible attribute value here. What was meant
> is probably "top". Also, the attribute should be put in double quotes:
>
> <caption align="top">
>
> This will allow to further process the output with XML tools.

Fixed, thanks. Will be in 8.1.X.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

> >> I also noticed that the HTML code in PQprint is not very clean and
> >> sometimes even wrong, e.g. it has <centre> instead of <center>.
> >
> > Fixed in 8.1.X.
>
> As already mentioned, there is also a wrong attribute align=high and as
> I just saw, also align=left and align=right attributes without quotes.

Here is the patchI applied based on your report. I already fixed the
"centre" cases.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

unknown_filename text/plain 2.9 KB

> >> I tried to compile PyGreSQL under Windows.
> >> Everything seems to work, except some functions which are using PQprint.
> >> Whenever these functions are called, I get a Windows exception.
> >> Can anybody confirm that PQprint is or was ever running under Windows?
> >> The 8.1 docu does not say that it is deprecated or not running under
> >> Windows. Can it be a bug?
> >
> > It should work. What exception are you getting, and what line in the C
> > file is it complaining about?
>
> Here is the exception I am getting:
> pythonw.exe caused an Invalid Handle at location 7c974ed1 in module
> ntdll.dll.
>
> Registers:
> eax=0021f6a0 ebx=00000000 ecx=0021f6e8 edx=7c91eb94 esi=7c38b528
> edi=00000000
> eip=7c974ed1 esp=0021f6a0 ebp=0021f6f0 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na
> po nc
> cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003b gs=0000
> efl=00000246
>
> Call stack:
> 7C974ED1 ntdll.dll:7C974ED1 RtlRaiseStatus
> 7C95243C ntdll.dll:7C95243C RtlInitializeSListHead
> 7C91104B ntdll.dll:7C91104B RtlEnterCriticalSection
> 77C1174F msvcrt.dll:77C1174F fwrite
> 6311321C libpq.dll:6311321C pg_encoding_to_char
> 63114007 libpq.dll:63114007 pg_encoding_to_char
> 63114067 libpq.dll:63114067 pg_encoding_to_char
> 631094A2 libpq.dll:631094A2 PQprint
> 10003DC3 _pg.dll:10003DC3 _onexit dllcrt1.c:183
> _onexit_t _onexit(
> _onexit_t pfn = &0x00a7a110
>
> This happened when I was using the libpq.dll from the official binary
> distribution of PostgreSQL 8.1.2. When I compiled libpq.dll myself to
> find out more, amazingly everything worked fine, there was no exception.
> I compiled with nls enabled and without, both works. Only the dll which
> comes with the Win installer causes the problem. Any ideas what could be
> the problem here?

Wow, that is strange. Guess we will just wait for someone else to see
the failure if you can not reproduce it. Thanks for trying.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

>> As already mentioned, there is also a wrong attribute align=high and as
>> I just saw, also align=left and align=right attributes without quotes.
>
> Here is the patchI applied based on your report. I already fixed the
> "centre" cases.

Yes, that's what I meant.

-- Christoph