CRITICAL RELEASE: Minor Releases to Fix DoS Vulnerability

Lists: pgsql-announcepgsql-generalpgsql-www
From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CRITICAL RELEASE: Minor Releases to Fix DoS Vulnerability
Date: 2006-01-09 06:33:40
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general pgsql-www

PostgreSQL patch versions 8.1.2, 8.0.6, 7.4.11 and 7.3.13 are available
today. The fixes in the 8.1 and 8.0 branches are critical, especially for
Windows users, and users of these branches are urged to update at their
earliest opportunity.

One critical fix repairs a denial-of-service vulnerability: on Windows
only, the postmaster will exit if too many connection requests arrive
simultaneously. This does not affect existing database connections, but
will prevent new connections from being established until the postmaster
is manually restarted. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE)
project has assigned the name CVE-2006-0105 to this issue.

Another critical fix repairs an error in ReadBuffer that can cause data
loss due to overwriting recently-added pages. This applies to the 8.1 and
8.0 branches on all platforms.

Other fixes included are:
-- Character string locale comparison bug. This may require a REINDEX
on text column indexes in some locales, such as Hungarian.
-- Prevent accidental changes of locale by plperl
-- Two fixes for Japanese encodings
-- Two fixes for COPY CSV
-- Fixes for functions returning RECORD
-- Fixes to autovacuum, dblink and pgcrypto

Further details appear in the release notes in the documentation for the
new versions, which is distributed with the source, and will be available
within a few days on PostgreSQL.org.

Versions 7.4.11 and 7.3.13 contain a subset of the fixes above appropriate
to those versions.

Currently, source packages are available for all these versions, and
Windows installer packages are available for 8.1.2 and 8.0.6. Binary
packages for other platforms will soon be available from the PostgreSQL
Downloads[1] page and other sources.

Marc G. Fournier
PostgreSQL Core Member

[1] - http://www.postgresql.org/download

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 02:33 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> PostgreSQL patch versions 8.1.2, 8.0.6, 7.4.11 and 7.3.13 are available
> today. The fixes in the 8.1 and 8.0 branches are critical, especially for
> Windows users, and users of these branches are urged to update at their
> earliest opportunity.
>
> One critical fix repairs a denial-of-service vulnerability: on Windows
> only, the postmaster will exit if too many connection requests arrive
> simultaneously. This does not affect existing database connections, but
> will prevent new connections from being established until the postmaster
> is manually restarted.

> The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE)
> project has assigned the name CVE-2006-0105 to this issue.

No they haven't: there is no such CVE number assigned, nor is there one
pending - I just checked. (The numbers don't go that high yet).

[I was looking to update the Security page, but can't find the
appropriate refs.]

Best Regards, Simon Riggs