Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sun supporting PostgreSQL

Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-announcepgsql-general
From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Sun supporting PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-11-17 21:57:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-announce pgsql-general

Community members:

Today, Sun announced that they would be supporting and shipping PostgreSQL
as a part of Solaris distribution. The press release should be here very
soon, if it's not already:
http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/web_sunflash.html

This should come as no surprise to the hackers in our community who've
noticed an increasing number of @sun.com addresses on the pgsql-hackers
list in the last few months. Sun's support for PostgreSQL will involve:
help in optimizing for Solaris; DTrace; Solaris packages; sponsorship of
community members and projects; and direct contributions/advice from Sun
engineers on database performance. More later as this stuff actually
gets rolling.

I think almost everyone here will agree with me that Sun is a very welcome
addition to our community of corporate supporters.

--
--Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Project Core Team
www.postgresql.org

(all opinions expressed are my own; I do not speak
for the Project unless specifically noted.)

Wow, it takes a *long* time to process 21k subscribers ... I take it
you've now received also? I just checked the newsgroup pgsql.general and
it too received it ...

----