Re: LGPL

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LGPL
Date: 2005-06-15 02:00:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

What about GPL ?
I assume that's out of the question!

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Hansen <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2005-06-15 02:11:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

John Hansen wrote:
> What about GPL ?
> I assume that's out of the question!

If we add some GPL code, the entire binary becomes GPL, and that
prevents closed-source commercial versions from being produced.

Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: John Hansen <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2005-06-15 02:20:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>John Hansen wrote:
>

>>What about GPL ?
>>I assume that's out of the question!
>>

>If we add some GPL code, the entire binary becomes GPL, and that
>prevents closed-source commercial versions from being produced.

When I went searching for some code to make a directory path in initdb,
I carefully avoided all the GPL versions, which is why I picked the code
from NetBSD. Anyone taking code from elsewhere to use in PostgreSQL
should a) acknowledge the source and b) be aware of this issue.

cheers

andrew

> >If we add some GPL code, the entire binary becomes GPL, and that
> >prevents closed-source commercial versions from being produced.
> >

> When I went searching for some code to make a directory path in initdb,
> I carefully avoided all the GPL versions, which is why I picked the code
> from NetBSD. Anyone taking code from elsewhere to use in PostgreSQL
> should a) acknowledge the source and b) be aware of this issue.

Agreed.

With libreadline, we are not taking their code or distributing it, but
merely linking to it if it exists. Now, some say that is enough to make
us GPL, but many don't agree with that interpretation.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

> With libreadline, we are not taking their code or distributing it, but
> merely linking to it if it exists.

But we are also requiring it. The rpms won't install unless readline is
available.

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> With libreadline, we are not taking their code or distributing it, but
>> merely linking to it if it exists.
>
> But we are also requiring it. The rpms won't install unless readline is
> available.

that isn't a PostgreSQL requirement though, that is a packagers
requirement ...

----