Re: query rewrite using materialized views

Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-performance
From: Yann Michel <yann-postgresql(at)spline(dot)de>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: query rewrite using materialized views
Date: 2005-01-03 16:55:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Hi,

are there any plans for rewriting queries to preexisting materialized
views? I mean, rewrite a query (within the optimizer) to use a
materialized view instead of the originating table?

Regards,
Yann

> are there any plans for rewriting queries to preexisting materialized
> views? I mean, rewrite a query (within the optimizer) to use a
> materialized view instead of the originating table?

Automatically, and by default, no. Using the RULES system? Yes, you can
already do this and the folks on the MattView project on pgFoundry are
working to make it easier.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 10:06:18AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > are there any plans for rewriting queries to preexisting materialized
> > views? I mean, rewrite a query (within the optimizer) to use a
> > materialized view instead of the originating table?
>
> Automatically, and by default, no. Using the RULES system? Yes, you can
> already do this and the folks on the MattView project on pgFoundry are
> working to make it easier.

I was just wondering if this might be on schedule for 8.x due to I read
the thread about materialized views some days ago. If materialized views
are someday implemented one should kepp this requested feature in mind
due to I know from Oracle to let it improve query execution plans...

Regards,
Yann