Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org

Lists: pgsql-www
From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Mitch Pirtle" <mitch(dot)pirtle(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Alexey Borzov" <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, "Oleg Bartunov" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org
Date: 2004-11-03 22:18:35
Lists: pgsql-www

Marc's gone for a bite to eat so I'll chip in...

Fixed. Marc commented out some stuff for testing.

56 5 seconds ago: http://www.postgresql.org/server-status

> Also, is the new website using pconnect or connect?

pconnect.

Regards, Dave (who's also off for food and then bed).

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 22:18:35 -0000, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:
> Marc's gone for a bite to eat so I'll chip in...

Super Dave!

> > Marc, you say you got 15/30 set for apache, can you tell me
> > how many procs are currently running?
>
> 56 5 seconds ago: http://www.postgresql.org/server-status

Looks okay to me.

> > Also, is the new website using pconnect or connect?
>
> pconnect.

Okay, hardware does not seem to be a constraint, apache/php seems
fine, mmcache is enabled; and so logically whatever is going on has to
be at the application level, either php or postgresql. Right?

> Regards, Dave (who's also off for food and then bed).

Hehe no rest for the wicked, I have to keep up with the germans and australians!

-- Mitch, eyes propped open with toothpicks

Just offering my 0.02... have you checked to see if the delays are due
to heavy io?

Gavin

Mitch Pirtle wrote:

>On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 22:18:35 -0000, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:
>

>>Marc's gone for a bite to eat so I'll chip in...
>>

>Super Dave!
>

>>>Marc, you say you got 15/30 set for apache, can you tell me
>>>how many procs are currently running?
>>>

>>56 5 seconds ago: http://www.postgresql.org/server-status
>>

>Looks okay to me.
>

>>>Also, is the new website using pconnect or connect?
>>>

>>pconnect.
>>

>Okay, hardware does not seem to be a constraint, apache/php seems
>fine, mmcache is enabled; and so logically whatever is going on has to
>be at the application level, either php or postgresql. Right?
>

>>Regards, Dave (who's also off for food and then bed).
>>

>Hehe no rest for the wicked, I have to keep up with the germans and australians!
>
>-- Mitch, eyes propped open with toothpicks

> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 22:18:35 -0000, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:
>> Marc's gone for a bite to eat so I'll chip in...
>
> Super Dave!
>
>>> Marc, you say you got 15/30 set for apache, can you tell me
>>> how many procs are currently running?
>>
>> 56 5 seconds ago: http://www.postgresql.org/server-status
>
> Looks okay to me.
>
>>> Also, is the new website using pconnect or connect?
>>
>> pconnect.
>
> Okay, hardware does not seem to be a constraint, apache/php seems
> fine, mmcache is enabled; and so logically whatever is going on has to
> be at the application level, either php or postgresql. Right?

does anyone know of any issues with php 4.3.9?

I just recently upgraded to it from 4.3.8 (ie. a week ago) ... right now,
php seems to be the central issue ... I think I'm going to build an
Apache/PHP4.3.8 server tomorrow, and see if that makes a difference ... I
drop'd the # of processes on taht server by 1/2 this afternoon, the
loadavg on the server right now is <.5 ... and alexey's site *still* takes
2.5sec to load up ... and the CPUs are running ~80% idle:

last pid: 77489; load averages: 0.46, 0.35, 0.38 up 11+09:14:26 20:27:36
371 processes: 1 running, 368 sleeping, 2 zombie
CPU states: 11.5% user, 0.0% nice, 6.3% system, 0.8% interrupt, 81.3% idle
Mem: 1715M Active, 1388M Inact, 640M Wired, 203M Cache, 199M Buf, 10M Free
Swap: 8192M Total, 3824K Used, 8188M Free

So its gotta be something in mod_php itself ...

----