Re: plans for bitmap indexes?

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Yann Michel <yann-postgresql(at)spline(dot)de>
Subject: Re: plans for bitmap indexes?
Date: 2004-10-08 16:59:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Yann,

> > Lots of people have talked about it but I don't know anyone coding it.

I would love to have bitmap indexes in Postgres, as would a lot of other
community members. However, they are far from trivial to code. Are you
offering to help?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

From: Yann Michel <yann-postgresql(at)spline(dot)de>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2004-10-08 17:10:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Josh,

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 09:59:41AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > > Lots of people have talked about it but I don't know anyone coding it.
>
> I would love to have bitmap indexes in Postgres, as would a lot of other
> community members. However, they are far from trivial to code. Are you
> offering to help?

I'd like to help you, but I think, that my C-Experience is not good
enough for beeing able to. I mean, I coded some C-stuff and I know how
bitmap indexes (should) work but I guess that this won't be enough. In
addidtion I never took a look into postgresql's sources.

Regards,
Yann

> I'd like to help you, but I think, that my C-Experience is not good
> enough for beeing able to. I mean, I coded some C-stuff and I know how
> bitmap indexes (should) work but I guess that this won't be enough. In
> addidtion I never took a look into postgresql's sources.

Well, there's no time like the present to get started! ;-)

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 10:18:27AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > I'd like to help you, but I think, that my C-Experience is not good
> > enough for beeing able to. I mean, I coded some C-stuff and I know how
> > bitmap indexes (should) work but I guess that this won't be enough. In
> > addidtion I never took a look into postgresql's sources.
>
> Well, there's no time like the present to get started! ;-)

O.K. I downloaded it :-)
We will see if and how I can help....

Regards,
Yann