Re: PostgreSQL giving jitters to Skypak

Lists: pgsql-advocacy
From: "Jussi(dot)Mikkola(at)bonware(dot)com" <jussi(dot)mikkola(at)bonware(dot)com>
To: aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: in(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL giving jitters to Skypak
Date: 2004-08-24 19:35:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi !

I think it would be a good idea to check how they are using indexes, and
what the structure of the database is. Missing an index or two can
affect quite much.

Rgs,

Jussi

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)acm(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2004-08-24 20:19:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Jussi(dot)Mikkola(at)bonware(dot)com wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I think it would be a good idea to check how they are using indexes, and
> what the structure of the database is. Missing an index or two can
> affect quite much.

My interest is in the type of hard drive interface, the drive(s) capacity
and utilization and the size of the database. There is no mention in the
article and though we on the list know better than to use IDE in
(database) servers I've seen plenty of systems from major manufacturers
come with IDE.

Rod

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Jussi(dot)Mikkola(at)bonware(dot)com wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I think it would be a good idea to check how they are using indexes, and what
> the structure of the database is. Missing an index or two can affect quite
> much.

As I'm experiencing with a client right now ... schema hurts alot too ...
all of their queries are bigint = int, so they are having to go through
their code and changing it to bigint = int::bigint so that indices are
being used properly ...

----
>From pgsql-advocacy-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org Tue Aug 24 22:07:04 2004
aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org,
in(at)postgresql(dot)org

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:11:13 -0300 (ADT), Marc G. Fournier
<scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Jussi(dot)Mikkola(at)bonware(dot)com wrote:
>
> > Hi !
> >
> > I think it would be a good idea to check how they are using indexes, and what
> > the structure of the database is. Missing an index or two can affect quite
> > much.
>
> As I'm experiencing with a client right now ... schema hurts alot too ...
> all of their queries are bigint = int, so they are having to go through
> their code and changing it to bigint = int::bigint so that indices are
> being used properly ...

I've always wondered... is there some reason we don't do "type
promotion" to match indices? So if someone provides an int, and a
bigint index exists, it should be used automatically, as they're
interchangable (i.e. int is a subset of bigint).

Chris
--
| Christopher Petrilli
| petrilli(at)gmail(dot)com

> I've always wondered... is there some reason we don't do "type
> promotion" to match indices? So if someone provides an int, and a
> bigint index exists, it should be used automatically, as they're
> interchangable (i.e. int is a subset of bigint).

Because it's actually more difficult that it sounds.

However, we *have* made changes to 8.0 to make it better at selecting
appropriate types for constants when and index exists.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Christopher Petrilli wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:11:13 -0300 (ADT), Marc G. Fournier
> <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Jussi(dot)Mikkola(at)bonware(dot)com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi !
>>>
>>> I think it would be a good idea to check how they are using indexes, and what
>>> the structure of the database is. Missing an index or two can affect quite
>>> much.
>>
>> As I'm experiencing with a client right now ... schema hurts alot too ...
>> all of their queries are bigint = int, so they are having to go through
>> their code and changing it to bigint = int::bigint so that indices are
>> being used properly ...
>
> I've always wondered... is there some reason we don't do "type
> promotion" to match indices? So if someone provides an int, and a
> bigint index exists, it should be used automatically, as they're
> interchangable (i.e. int is a subset of bigint).

This is fixed (or, partially addressed) in 8.0 ...

----