Re: How to display privileges in psql

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to display privileges in psql
Date: 2004-07-15 12:11:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Maybe other people want to comment on this issue.

So far, \z and \dp have shown privileges of tables.

Now \dn+ and \db+ show the privileges of schemas and tablespaces.

Should we, for consistency, move the table privilege display to \dt+, or
should we move the schema and tablespace display to, say \zn and \zb? Or
maybe this is not an issue at all.

--
Peter Eisentraut

> Maybe other people want to comment on this issue.
>
> So far, \z and \dp have shown privileges of tables.
>
> Now \dn+ and \db+ show the privileges of schemas and tablespaces.
>
> Should we, for consistency, move the table privilege display to \dt+, or
> should we move the schema and tablespace display to, say \zn and \zb? Or
> maybe this is not an issue at all.

Now that you mention it, it does seem nice to show permissions in \dt+.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 10:41:49AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Maybe other people want to comment on this issue.
> >
> > So far, \z and \dp have shown privileges of tables.
> >
> > Now \dn+ and \db+ show the privileges of schemas and tablespaces.
> >
> > Should we, for consistency, move the table privilege display to \dt+, or
> > should we move the schema and tablespace display to, say \zn and \zb? Or
> > maybe this is not an issue at all.
>
> Now that you mention it, it does seem nice to show permissions in \dt+.

IMHO the \dn+ output would get too wide if you do that. I'd be in favor
of using \z<letter> to display permissions of the object in \d<letter>

Something that annoys me is that the \? shows

\dt description of what it does ...
add + for more details

where it should be

\dt[+] same description

No need to say what the + does, it should be obvious.

"Para tener más hay que desear menos"

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 10:41:49AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > Maybe other people want to comment on this issue.
> > >
> > > So far, \z and \dp have shown privileges of tables.
> > >
> > > Now \dn+ and \db+ show the privileges of schemas and tablespaces.
> > >
> > > Should we, for consistency, move the table privilege display to \dt+, or
> > > should we move the schema and tablespace display to, say \zn and \zb? Or
> > > maybe this is not an issue at all.
> >
> > Now that you mention it, it does seem nice to show permissions in \dt+.
>
> IMHO the \dn+ output would get too wide if you do that. I'd be in favor
> of using \z<letter> to display permissions of the object in \d<letter>

Is the new \db+ and \dn+ too wide now?

Actually it looks like \db+ is fine but \dn+ is long because it has both
permissions and a description:

test=> \dt+
List of relations
Schema | Name | Type | Owner | Description
--------+------+-------+----------+-------------
public | test | table | postgres |
(1 row)

test=> \db+
List of tablespaces
Name | Owner | Location | Access privileges
------------+----------+----------+-------------------
pg_default | postgres | |
pg_global | postgres | |
(2 rows)

test=> \dn+
List of schemas
Name | Owner | Access privileges | Description
--------------------+----------+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------
information_schema | postgres | {postgres=UC/postgres,=U/postgres} |
pg_catalog | postgres | {postgres=UC/postgres,=U/postgres} | System catalog schema
pg_toast | postgres | | Reserved schema for TOAST tables
public | postgres | {postgres=UC/postgres,=UC/postgres} | Standard public schema
(4 rows)

> Something that annoys me is that the \? shows
>
> \dt description of what it does ...
> add + for more details
>
> where it should be
>
> \dt[+] same description
>
> No need to say what the + does, it should be obvious.

Good idea.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us