Re: PostgreSQL Problem on Windows XP

Lists: pgsql-cygwin
From: Richard Kellner <rgkellner(at)aol(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Richard Kellner <rgkellner(at)aol(dot)com>
Subject: PostgreSQL Problem on Windows XP
Date: 2004-07-14 17:31:23
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hello,
I attempted to install PostgreSQL on Windows XP according to the
procedure in http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/text/FAQ_MSWIN

There seems to be a problem with the ipc daemon, as the following happens:
=========================

Owner(at)Trick ~
$ ipc-daemon2 &
[2] 5152
[1] Exit 1 ipc-daemon2

Owner(at)Trick ~
$ initdb --pgdata=/usr/local/pgdata -W -E LATIN1 -d
Running in debug mode.

initdb: internal variables:
PGDATA=/usr/local/pgdata
datadir=/usr/share/postgresql
PGPATH=/usr/bin
ENCODING=LATIN1
ENCODINGID=8
POSTGRES_SUPERUSERNAME=Owner
POSTGRES_BKI=/usr/share/postgresql/postgres.bki
POSTGRES_DESCR=/usr/share/postgresql/postgres.description
POSTGRESQL_CONF_SAMPLE=/usr/share/postgresql/postgresql.conf.sample
PG_HBA_SAMPLE=/usr/share/postgresql/pg_hba.conf.sample
PG_IDENT_SAMPLE=/usr/share/postgresql/pg_ident.conf.sample
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "Owner".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /usr/local/pgdata... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgdata/base... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgdata/global... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgdata/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgdata/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
10
selecting default shared_buffers... Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
50
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgdata/base/1... DEBUG:
invoking IpcM
emoryCreate(size=1081344)
Signal 12

initdb: failed
initdb: removing data directory "/usr/local/pgdata"

Owner(at)Trick ~

Any suggestions? I have a gigabyte of memory and only 465 MB is being
used, so there shouldn't be a problem with memory allocation.
Thank you,
Richard Kellner