Remove email search

Lists: pgsql-www
From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Remove email search
Date: 2004-07-13 13:39:32
Lists: pgsql-www

After years of failure to support a reliable, fast search capability for
our email list, I suggest we give up and move to just pointing to Google
Groups. Our search screens have been mostly an embarrassment for us,
and it is time to give up and move on:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql

I know someone will say, "Oh, we are ordering new equipment", but at
this point, I have heard so many "almost fixed" emails that I have lost
faith in the entire process.

I also think we need to start purchasing our own servers with company
donations and move to a more independent infrastructure.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

> After years of failure to support a reliable, fast search capability for
> our email list, I suggest we give up and move to just pointing to Google
> Groups. Our search screens have been mostly an embarrassment for us,
> and it is time to give up and move on:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql

Hmmm... do they cover enough of the mailing lists to be effective, and
do they retain the emails for a really long time?

:-)

<snip>
> I also think we need to start purchasing our own servers with company
> donations and move to a more independent infrastructure.

Well, lets draw up some equipment targets, figure out pricing, and
figure out how much we have in the kitty.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> > After years of failure to support a reliable, fast search capability for
> > our email list, I suggest we give up and move to just pointing to Google
> > Groups. Our search screens have been mostly an embarrassment for us,
> > and it is time to give up and move on:
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql
>
> Hmmm... do they cover enough of the mailing lists to be effective, and
> do they retain the emails for a really long time?
>
> :-)
>

> <snip>
> > I also think we need to start purchasing our own servers with company
> > donations and move to a more independent infrastructure.
>
> Well, lets draw up some equipment targets, figure out pricing, and
> figure out how much we have in the kitty.

Actually, right now we have nothing in the kitty. This is more of a
long-term goal, I think.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us