Re: CVS HEAD

Lists: pgsql-cygwin
From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Jason Tishler' <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>, Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CVS HEAD
Date: 2004-04-14 00:55:42
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

> I'm seeing PostgreSQL 7.4.2's postmaster SEGV on startup under 1.5.9-1
> too. AFAICT, the stackdump indicates the problem is in the
> Cygwin DLL.

Well, that confirms things. 7.4.2 includes a repeated call to dup(0) to get
an estimate for the max number of fds, whilst 7.4.1 does not.

Code like that below should not SEGV, IMNSHO. Want me to push this over to
the cygwin list?

#include <errno.h>

int main(void)
{
int i;
for (i = 0; ; i++)
{
printf("i = %d\n",i);
if (dup(0) < 0)
{
printf("dup failed\n");
return -1;
}
}
return 0;
}

> and starting a new job,

Congrats.

Cheers,
Claudio

---
<a
ailpolicy.html</a>

FYI, similar problem reported, 21 mar 2004, in
"How many fds can *you* open?"

But cfg terminated the thread with rudeness. :(

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:55:42AM +1000, Claudio Natoli wrote:
> > I'm seeing PostgreSQL 7.4.2's postmaster SEGV on startup under
> > 1.5.9-1 too. AFAICT, the stackdump indicates the problem is in the
> > Cygwin DLL.
>
> Well, that confirms things. 7.4.2 includes a repeated call to dup(0)
> to get an estimate for the max number of fds, whilst 7.4.1 does not.
>
> Code like that below should not SEGV, IMNSHO. Want me to push this
> over to the cygwin list?
>
> [snip]

Yes, I would really appreciate it. And, thanks for tracking this down.

> > and starting a new job,
>
> Congrats.

Thanks. Unfortunately, one of my compromises was significantly less
time for open source. :,(

Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 07:46:52AM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:55:42AM +1000, Claudio Natoli wrote:
> > > I'm seeing PostgreSQL 7.4.2's postmaster SEGV on startup under
> > > 1.5.9-1 too. AFAICT, the stackdump indicates the problem is in
> > > the Cygwin DLL.
> >
> > Well, that confirms things. 7.4.2 includes a repeated call to dup(0)
> > to get an estimate for the max number of fds, whilst 7.4.1 does not.
> >
> > Code like that below should not SEGV, IMNSHO. Want me to push this
> > over to the cygwin list?
> >
> > [snip]
>
> Yes, I would really appreciate it. And, thanks for tracking this down.

The following seems to indicate that the problem has been resolved in
a recent snapshot:

Would you be willing to try out the latest one and report back?

Thanks,