Re: Org Types, was: The big MySQL spin

Lists: pgsql-advocacy
From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Lamar Owen' <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The big MySQL spin
Date: 2004-03-11 12:51:22
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> Benevolent oligarchy is the term you want.

Oligarchic technocracy?

Hey, at least it'll get 'em running for a dictionary :-P

Claudio

---
<a
ailpolicy.html</a>

From: "Peter Galbavy" <peter(dot)galbavy(at)knowtion(dot)net>
To: "Claudio Natoli" <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>, "'Lamar Owen'" <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2004-03-11 13:15:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Claudio Natoli wrote:
>> Benevolent oligarchy is the term you want.
>
> Oligarchic technocracy?

Oligarchic Meritocracy ?

Peter

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Peter Galbavy <peter(dot)galbavy(at)knowtion(dot)net>
Cc: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>, "'Lamar Owen'" <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2004-03-11 15:48:22
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 08:15, Peter Galbavy wrote:
> Claudio Natoli wrote:
> >> Benevolent oligarchy is the term you want.
> >
> > Oligarchic technocracy?
>
> Oligarchic Meritocracy ?

Certainly you've hit an important point in the discussion bringing up
meritocracy. With PostgreSQL, people's ability to shape the
direction/features of PostgreSQL is based on the merits of their work
and/or ideas, and the ascent to positions of control follow the same
path. With something like my$ql, ascent to a position of power is not
given from the community, but must be obtained from the corporation.
my$ql may say they are a republic / representative democracy, but given
that one party controls who all the candidates are there isn't much need
for voting...

Robert Treat