Re: Register arbitrary types Framework

Lists: pgsql-jdbc
From: Markus Schaber <schabios(at)logi-track(dot)com>
To: PostGreSQL JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Register arbitrary types Framework
Date: 2004-03-10 16:49:58
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello @all,

I don't know whether this List is the correct place to ask this, and so
I added an similar Feature Request to the gborg project:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgjdbc/bugs/bugupdate.php?709

For my project, I need to register third-party classes as postgres
classes, (specifically, I want JTS objects to be directly created when
calling getObject(int)) and it is not eligible to patch those
third-party classes.

However, the current user-type register system only allows subtypes of
PGObject to be registered. I have two Ideas on how to change this,
whereas I would prefer the second one, and am willing to write and
provide patches for both of them if they are to be accepted:

- When a registered object is no subclass of PGObject, use the
constructor that uses a single String as arguments for reading and
toString() for writing.

- Allow instances of a factory Interface to be registered to the
PostGreSQL connection. Then, when reading this type, a creator function
of the factory is called, and when writing, we can use a map to find the
factory from the object's class.

At least the second solution would also allow cleaning up of the PostGIS
jdbc drivers as they now use a PGGeometry class that acts as a pure
Wrapper function, and the user has to call getGeometry() on the received
PGGeometry to get the real Geometry.

Thanks for your patience,

Markus
--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Markus Schaber wrote:

> Hello @all,
>
> For my project, I need to register third-party classes as postgres
> classes, (specifically, I want JTS objects to be directly created when
> calling getObject(int)) and it is not eligible to patch those
> third-party classes.
>
> However, the current user-type register system only allows subtypes of
> PGObject to be registered. I have two Ideas on how to change this,
> whereas I would prefer the second one, and am willing to write and
> provide patches for both of them if they are to be accepted:
>
> - When a registered object is no subclass of PGObject, use the
> constructor that uses a single String as arguments for reading and
> toString() for writing.
>
> - Allow instances of a factory Interface to be registered to the
> PostGreSQL connection. Then, when reading this type, a creator function
> of the factory is called, and when writing, we can use a map to find the
> factory from the object's class.

I see what you are getting at, but I don't see this as all that useful.
How is this much better than creating a PGObject adapter class to bridge
the differences between your object and the driver? Wouldn't you need to
make some kind of modification to the JTS object when doing a setObject()
call? I find it difficult to see its toString() implementation mapping
directly to a pg server side type.

The JDBC spec provides another type mapping interface based on SQLData.
This is more focused on complex types, but we could do something like only
allowing one read or write call per SQLInput/SQLOutput object. This still
doesn't solve your problem because it needs to implement SQLData.

Perhaps you could give us some more specifics on the database types
involved and why getObject has to return an instance of your object
instead of an intermediary.

Kris Jurka