Re: On pgweb project (Re: Update on 'portal' changes)

Lists: pgsql-www
From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Alexey Borzov" <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Update on 'portal' changes
Date: 2004-03-08 17:05:27
Lists: pgsql-www

Because the project is for all the websites, not just the one you are
working on.

We *have* created a separate CVS module which should be more than enough
segregation.

Regards, Dave.

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2004-03-08 17:11:25
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi!

Dave Page wrote:
>>Speaking of which, what is the real reason for keeping the
>>current website and the "next-generation" one in one project?
>>
>>Maybe a better approach would be to register a separate
>>project for the next-generation website (I think this was
>>already proposed here)?
>
> Because the project is for all the websites, not just the one you are
> working on.

OK, let's paraphrase: what is the reason for having one project for all websites
instead of one project per website? I got the impression that *different*
developers work on different websites...

> We *have* created a separate CVS module which should be more than enough
> segregation.

Can CVS write access be given for this module only?

> OK, let's paraphrase: what is the reason for having one project for all
websites
> instead of one project per website? I got the impression that *different*
> developers work on different websites...

Well, GForge/GBorg is seperate. Techdocs should be generated by Bricolage.
PGFoundation is apparently going to be seperate. Advocacy should be going
away as soon as the foundation gets its act together. General Bits is
hosted & adminned by Elein.

What else is there?

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

>>OK, let's paraphrase: what is the reason for having one project for all
>
> websites
>
>>instead of one project per website? I got the impression that *different*
>>developers work on different websites...
>

> Well, GForge/GBorg is seperate. Techdocs should be generated by Bricolage.
> PGFoundation is apparently going to be seperate. Advocacy should be going
> away as soon as the foundation gets its act together. General Bits is
> hosted & adminned by Elein.
>
> What else is there?

Well, currently pgweb project has "This project is the development home of the
PostgreSQL website, www.postgresql.org" as description, but its CVS has
directories for current www.postgresql.org (www), techdocs, advocacy and dir for
a "new" postgresql.org (portal).

I'd rather work on the "new" code in a separate project, where there would be no
problems related to giving me CVS access to current code and where it would be
possible to use available issue trackers.

BTW, why doesn't gborg accept new members?
http://gborg.postgresql.org/member/memjoin.php