Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix

Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix
Date: 2004-01-24 17:34:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> Yes, of course. Otherwise we have all been wasting our time very badly
;-)

> In fact, it's quite important that all work be tested from a Windows
> command prompt, and not just from inside Mingw. I know I found
numerous
> errors that I corrected that way.

For fun, I've been porting postgres 7.4.1 to Interix and I'm about 99%
of the way through it. There were some problems with configure and I
had to do a lot of things by hand.

It turns out that Interix 3.5 is still missing a few things, notably
sync() (but not threads)... :(. I didn't know this going into it, and a
kernel based sync() was one of the major reasons that the Interix port
had the potential to be better/faster than a 'native' port (they do,
however have ipc & signals, and other helpful things).

So even if it was hypothetically possible to link to the interix libs
and release the port without the runtime installation (it isn't), we
would probably have chosen the current path anyways.

Still, the presence of Interix gives windows developers another
choice...because of the improved ipc support, it will probably outclass
the cygwin version. In cases where SFU is already part of their IT
dept, it may be the best choice.

wrt MinGW, using it drives me crazy because it throws up console windows
that steal the focus when I am compiling. Is their any way to prevent
this?

Merlin

> wrt MinGW, using it drives me crazy because it throws up console
> windows that steal the focus when I am compiling. Is their any way to
> prevent this?

I haven't seen this. What Windows platform are you on?

cheers

andrew

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 12:34:42PM -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Still, the presence of Interix gives windows developers another
> choice...because of the improved ipc support, it will probably
> outclass the cygwin version.

Look Mom no cygipc! :,)

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2004-01/msg00179.html

Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

>>wrt MinGW, using it drives me crazy because it throws up console
>>windows that steal the focus when I am compiling. Is their any way to
>>prevent this?

I suppose you got the latest MSYS-1.0.10-rc#. Try getting the MSYS-1.0.9
release.

--
basic

> > Yes, of course. Otherwise we have all been wasting our time very badly
> ;-)
> >
> > In fact, it's quite important that all work be tested from a Windows
> > command prompt, and not just from inside Mingw. I know I found
> numerous
> > errors that I corrected that way.
>
> For fun, I've been porting postgres 7.4.1 to Interix and I'm about 99%
> of the way through it. There were some problems with configure and I
> had to do a lot of things by hand.
>
> It turns out that Interix 3.5 is still missing a few things, notably
> sync() (but not threads)... :(. I didn't know this going into it, and a
> kernel based sync() was one of the major reasons that the Interix port
> had the potential to be better/faster than a 'native' port (they do,
> however have ipc & signals, and other helpful things).

MinGW doesn't have sync() either. It is on our TODO and I think we are
going to have to collect a list of files modified since the last
checkpoint and do an open/_commit on each one.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us