Re: A briefing is needed...

Lists: pgsql-www
From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Alexey Borzov" <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A briefing is needed...
Date: 2004-01-14 19:25:01
Lists: pgsql-www

Good, I just cleaned it.

> The reason I'm in here was because I proposed some changes to website
> layout:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2004-01/msg00161.php
> and then even made a mock-up of them:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2004-01/msg00222.php
> but was informed by Robert Treat that PostgreSQL website is
> in such a sorry state that it cannot be quickly redesigned.

That's not exactly the case. It can be easily redesigned, however we
have other priorities right now which are more difficult - eg.
Internationalisation.

> Thus I'm willing to contribute a bit of my time to website
> development.
> I'd like to know some things before I start:
>
> 1) Is anyone actively working on website right now? I mean
> not "is a member of website team", but actively working?

I'm actively maintaining but not developing at present.

> 2) Is there an adequate design available for postgresql.org?
> Current thing looks extremely unprofessional, and I'm sure
> that there are a lot of people who would be willing to
> contribute their skills for postgresql.org...

First, I would suggest not pissing off the guy with root. Second, there
are lot's of people who offer to contribute 'professional' designs (I'm
not talking about those on this list btw) - there have yet to be any
that have come up with anything we all liked better.

> 3) Is the thing in portal dir in pgweb module the "new"
> postgresql.org?

Yes.

> If yes, what needs to be done to it to make it "live"? Is
> there some TODO list? Where is database schema?

The database schema is the one currently in use. I am about to extract a
copy for general consumption.

> 4) If the "portal" thing is not quite there yet, should I
> dedicate some time to moving the common HTML to common
> header/footer in the current www dir?

Perhaps. I shall post another message with the requirements for the new
site in a minute.

Regards, Dave.