using stp for dbt2 + postgresql

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: markw(at)osdl(dot)org
To: manfred(at)colorfullife(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: using stp for dbt2 + postgresql
Date: 2003-12-31 17:31:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Manfred,

Just wanted to let you know I tried your patch-spinlock-i386 patch on
our STP (our automated test platform) 8-way systems and saw a 5.5%
improvement with Pentium III Xeons. If you want to see those results:

PostgreSQL 7.4.1:
http://khack.osdl.org/stp/285062/

PostgreSQL 7.4.1 w/ your patch:
http://khack.osdl.org/stp/285087/

Mark

> Just wanted to let you know I tried your patch-spinlock-i386 patch on
> our STP (our automated test platform) 8-way systems and saw a 5.5%
> improvement with Pentium III Xeons. If you want to see those results:
>
> PostgreSQL 7.4.1:
> http://khack.osdl.org/stp/285062/
>
> PostgreSQL 7.4.1 w/ your patch:
> http://khack.osdl.org/stp/285087/

Impressive. Thanks.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

>>Just wanted to let you know I tried your patch-spinlock-i386 patch on
>>our STP (our automated test platform) 8-way systems and saw a 5.5%
>>improvement with Pentium III Xeons. If you want to see those results:
>>
>>PostgreSQL 7.4.1:
>> http://khack.osdl.org/stp/285062/
>>
>>PostgreSQL 7.4.1 w/ your patch:
>> http://khack.osdl.org/stp/285087/
>>

>Impressive. Thanks.

The best thing is that we can try our own postgres patches with SDT now:
this gives us a chance to run tests on up to 8-way systems, with 4 gb
memory, 40 spindles. From my experience, the typical turnaround time is
half a day - submit patch [web interface], start benchmark run, and
after a few ours you get a mail that contains the output. With oprofile,
it's very detailed - % cpu time for each function, down to individual
asm instructions, plus the ability for custom logging into the
postmaster log.
I think we should try to use that to find a cache replacement policy
that is SMP scalable, i.e. doesn't need a global lock - I searched a few
minutes on citeseer, but couldn't find anything that doesn't rely on
global lists.

--
Manfred