Cygwin PostgreSQL 7.4.1 Regression Test Issue

Lists: pgsql-cygwin
From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Cygwin PostgreSQL 7.4.1 Regression Test Issue
Date: 2003-12-29 18:30:11
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I was about to release Cygwin PostgreSQL 7.4.1-1. Unfortunately, I got
the attached regression test errors on the rules test. The diffs are
the following:

1. two missing "-" characters which seems to imply a field width
difference
2. occurrences of NULL::anyarray instead of NULL::"unknown"

Does anyone know why the above regressions are occurring? Note Cygwin
PostgreSQL 7.4-1 did *not* have any regressions (including rules).

Is it safe to release Cygwin PostgreSQL 7.4.1-1 with this issue?

Thanks,
Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

Attachment Content-Type Size
regression.diffs text/plain 13.3 KB

> I was about to release Cygwin PostgreSQL 7.4.1-1. Unfortunately, I
> got the attached regression test errors on the rules test. The diffs
> are the following:
>
> 1. two missing "-" characters which seems to imply a field width
> difference
> 2. occurrences of NULL::anyarray instead of NULL::"unknown"

No, that shouldn't happen, especially since these issues are not
platform-dependent. If you can reproduce it, please send a bug report.

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:25:39PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> > I was about to release Cygwin PostgreSQL 7.4.1-1. Unfortunately, I
> > got the attached regression test errors on the rules test. The
> > diffs are the following:
> >
> > 1. two missing "-" characters which seems to imply a field width
> > difference
> > 2. occurrences of NULL::anyarray instead of NULL::"unknown"
>
> No, that shouldn't happen, especially since these issues are not
> platform-dependent. If you can reproduce it,

Yes, I can reproduce it under PostgreSQL 7.4.1 and Cygwin 1.5.5-1 every
time. Note that I *cannot* reproduce it under PostgreSQL 7.4 and Cygwin
1.5.5-1. Of course, I cannot reproduce it under PostgreSQL 7.4.1 and
Red Hat Linux 8.0.

BTW, in order to help debug this faster, what are the minimal tests that
rules is dependent on? My current approach is to just run all 76 tests
listed before rules in serial_schedule. Unfortunately, this approach
take over 3 minutes per try. :,(

> please send a bug report.

OK, but isn't that like throwing a boomerang? :,)

Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

> Yes, I can reproduce it under PostgreSQL 7.4.1 and Cygwin 1.5.5-1
> every time. Note that I *cannot* reproduce it under PostgreSQL 7.4
> and Cygwin 1.5.5-1. Of course, I cannot reproduce it under
> PostgreSQL 7.4.1 and Red Hat Linux 8.0.

I just tried out the 7.4 branch after a full Cygwin update (stable
packages), and all tests passed in each of several attempts. (Even
"make check" works now -- whoohoo!)

> BTW, in order to help debug this faster, what are the minimal tests
> that rules is dependent on? My current approach is to just run all
> 76 tests listed before rules in serial_schedule. Unfortunately, this
> approach take over 3 minutes per try. :,(

I managed to get the following to work:

./pg_regress create_table create_misc create_function_1 create_type
create_function_2 create_operator create_view rules

The create_table test will fail in this case, but the others should
pass.

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:23:12AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> > Yes, I can reproduce it under PostgreSQL 7.4.1 and Cygwin 1.5.5-1
> > every time. Note that I *cannot* reproduce it under PostgreSQL 7.4
> > and Cygwin 1.5.5-1. Of course, I cannot reproduce it under
> > PostgreSQL 7.4.1 and Red Hat Linux 8.0.
>
> I just tried out the 7.4 branch after a full Cygwin update (stable
> packages), and all tests passed in each of several attempts. (Even
> "make check" works now -- whoohoo!)

7.4 works for me too. Please repeat the above with 7.4.1 and report
back to the list.