Re: [HACKERS] Win32 native port

Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-hackers-win32
From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Win32 port list" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Win32 native port
Date: 2003-09-12 12:57:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Momjian [mailto:pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us]
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 10:11 PM
To: Steve Novick
Cc: PostgreSQL-development; PostgreSQL Win32 port list

> Below is the email that prompted me to add the derived files to
> WIN32_DEV CVS.

> However, most people don't want them in there, so I have removed them,
> and updated the web page to recommend the nightly snapshots (which
have
> the derived files), and mentioned the tools that will be needed for a
> CVS build:

Here: http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ are ports of several unix utility
programs (including bison and flex) for win32. From my experiences
compiling the Peer Direct port, this is the easiest way to get started.

Merlin

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Win32 port list <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2003-09-12 14:47:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 08:57:16AM -0400, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Here: http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ are ports of several unix
> utility programs (including bison and flex) for win32. From my
> experiences compiling the Peer Direct port, this is the easiest way to
> get started.

OK, I'll throw my hat in the ring... :,)

I recommend using Cygwin in -mno-cygwin (aka Mingw) mode for the
following reasons:

1. Using Cygwin gcc -mno-cygwin mode produces native Win32
applications (i.e., do not depending on the Cygwin DLL)
that are not affected by the Cygwin license.

2. Using Cygwin as the Win32 build environment will facilitate
keeping the Unix and Win32 build environments as similar as
possible. For example:

a. Posix path can be used for both environments
b. symlinks can be used for both environments

3. Cygwin provides all the necessary tools (e.g., bison and flex).

Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6