Re: ALTER SCHEMA problem

Lists: pgsql-bugs
From: Andreas Hinz <news3(at)acci(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ALTER SCHEMA problem
Date: 2003-08-14 18:19:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

If PostgreSQL failed to compile on your computer or you found a bug that
is likely to be specific to one platform then please fill out this form
and e-mail it to pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)

To report any other bug, fill out the form below and e-mail it to
pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)

If you not only found the problem but solved it and generated a patch
then e-mail it to pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org instead. Please use the
command "diff -c" to generate the patch.

You may also enter a bug report at http://www.postgresql.org/ instead of
e-mail-ing this form.

=== POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE
===

Your name : Andreas Hinz
Your email address : news3(at)acci(dot)dk

System Configuration
---------------------
Architecture (example: Intel Pentium) : Intel Pentium

Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF) : Linux 2.4.21 ELF

PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-7.3): PostgreSQL-7.4beta1

Compiler used (example: gcc 2.95.2) : gcc 3.2.3

Hi,
I am not absolutly sure this is a bug, but consider this:

I am about to create a database with 5 schemas each containing about 70
tables. Importing data via "psql <database> -f <file>.

After import I rename the schema "public" to eg. "base1", create a
new schema "public", import the next database etc.

Now the problem is I yse the datatype "serial" which creates then
constraint "default nextval('public.abc_sew'::test)".

When renaming the schema from "public" to "base1" all indexes and
seqenses are renames correct, but not the above "public." in the
constraint.

Please describe a way to repeat the problem. Please try to provide a

createdb test
psql test
CREATE TABLE ta1 (f1 serial, f2 integer);
ALTER SCHEMA public RENAME TO base1;
\d base1.*

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:

Only by manual "ALTER TABLE ta1 ALTER f1 SET DEFAULT etc.

But doing this for 5 schemas each having 70 tables is somewhat stupud.

Even via a seperate file with all the "ALTER" is no solution as this is
an unfineshed project with frequent changes on the tables and thus
possible changes in this file.

A posibility to select a default schema with eg. "SET" on import would be
a really nice feature:

SET DEFAULT SCHEMA base1;

CREATE TABLE ....

COPY FROM stdin ....

etc.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards / Mit freundlichen GrĂ¼ssen

Andreas Hinz

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us