Re: Warning for undefined cursor

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Warning for undefined cursor
Date: 2003-07-28 09:10:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In backend/commands/portalcmds.c we have

/* FIXME: shouldn't this be an ERROR? */
ereport(WARNING,
(errcode(ERRCODE_UNDEFINED_CURSOR),
errmsg("portal \"%s\" does not exist", stmt->portalname)));

The effect of this is that you can fetch from an undefined cursor and
(successfully) get zero rows plus this warning. I propose that we change
this to an error. Does anyone see a reason against this, except possibly
bugward compatibility?

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net