Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL supported platform report and a

Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-ports
From: "Billy G(dot) Allie" <Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL supported platform report and a patch.
Date: 2002-11-07 03:57:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

I am including a set of 4 small patches that enable PostgreSQL 7.3b3 to build
successfully on OpenUnix 8.0. These same patches should also work for UnixWare
7.x. I will confirm that tomorrow (Nov 7, 2002).

Here is an explanation of the patches:

1. An update of the FAQ_SCO file.

2. This patch removes a static declaration of a in-line function in
src/backend/utils/sort/tuplesort.c

3. This patch to src/makefiles/Makefile.unixware, together with the patch to
src/Makefile.global.in allows any addition library search directories (added
with the configure --with-libraries option) to be added to the rpath option
sent to the linker. The use of a different variable to pass the addition
search paths was necessary to avoid a circular reference to LDFLAGS.

4. This patch creates the variable (trpath) used by the patch to
Makefile.unixware. This patch would also be for other platforms that would
have to add the additional library search paths to the rpath linker option.
See Makefile.unixware for an example of how to do this.

After applying these patches, PostgreSQL successfully compiled on OpenUnix 8
and it passed all the regression tests.

Attachment Content-Type Size
ou8.patch.20021106 text/plain 2.4 KB
unknown_filename text/plain 199 bytes

I am fine with this because it only touches unixware-specific stuff,
except the change to Tom's inline function:

[static] inline Datum
myFunctionCall2(FmgrInfo *flinfo, Datum arg1, Datum arg2)

Tom will have to comment on that.

Billy G. Allie wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> I am including a set of 4 small patches that enable PostgreSQL 7.3b3 to build
> successfully on OpenUnix 8.0. These same patches should also work for UnixWare
> 7.x. I will confirm that tomorrow (Nov 7, 2002).
>
> Here is an explanation of the patches:
>
> 1. An update of the FAQ_SCO file.
>
> 2. This patch removes a static declaration of a in-line function in
> src/backend/utils/sort/tuplesort.c
>
> 3. This patch to src/makefiles/Makefile.unixware, together with the patch to
> src/Makefile.global.in allows any addition library search directories (added
> with the configure --with-libraries option) to be added to the rpath option
> sent to the linker. The use of a different variable to pass the addition
> search paths was necessary to avoid a circular reference to LDFLAGS.
>
> 4. This patch creates the variable (trpath) used by the patch to
> Makefile.unixware. This patch would also be for other platforms that would
> have to add the additional library search paths to the rpath linker option.
> See Makefile.unixware for an example of how to do this.
>
> After applying these patches, PostgreSQL successfully compiled on OpenUnix 8
> and it passed all the regression tests.

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> ____ | Billy G. Allie | Domain....: Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org
> | /| | 7436 Hartwell | MSN.......: B_G_Allie(at)email(dot)msn(dot)com
> |-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126|
> |/ |LLIE | (313) 582-1540 |
-- End of PGP section, PGP failed!

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

> I am fine with this because it only touches unixware-specific stuff,
> except the change to Tom's inline function:
> [static] inline Datum
> myFunctionCall2(FmgrInfo *flinfo, Datum arg1, Datum arg2)
> Tom will have to comment on that.

That change would actively break some platforms (see C99 inline
specifications). Why is it necessary for SCO? We certainly have
plenty of other static inline functions ...

regards, tom lane

We already have success messages from Olivier Prenant for 7.3B4 on 8.0.0,
and me for 7.1.3.

I don't believe your changes are necessary.

--On Wednesday, November 06, 2002 22:57:26 -0500 "Billy G. Allie"
<Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org> wrote:

> I am including a set of 4 small patches that enable PostgreSQL 7.3b3 to
> build successfully on OpenUnix 8.0. These same patches should also work
> for UnixWare 7.x. I will confirm that tomorrow (Nov 7, 2002).
>
> Here is an explanation of the patches:
>
> 1. An update of the FAQ_SCO file.
>
> 2. This patch removes a static declaration of a in-line function in
> src/backend/utils/sort/tuplesort.c
>
> 3. This patch to src/makefiles/Makefile.unixware, together with the patch
> to src/Makefile.global.in allows any addition library search
> directories (added with the configure --with-libraries option) to be
> added to the rpath option sent to the linker. The use of a different
> variable to pass the addition search paths was necessary to avoid a
> circular reference to LDFLAGS.
>
> 4. This patch creates the variable (trpath) used by the patch to
> Makefile.unixware. This patch would also be for other platforms that
> would have to add the additional library search paths to the rpath
> linker option. See Makefile.unixware for an example of how to do this.
>
> After applying these patches, PostgreSQL successfully compiled on
> OpenUnix 8 and it passed all the regression tests.

--
Larry Rosenman, Sr. Network Engineer, Internet America, Inc.
E-Mail: ler(at)airmail(dot)net