Re: How to REINDEX in high volume environments?

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to REINDEX in high volume environments?
Date: 2002-09-28 07:08:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

Am experimenting to find out what kind of performance gain are achieved
from moving indexes to a different scsi drives than the WAL files, than
the data itself, etc.

Have come across an interesting problem.

Have moved the indexes to another drive, then created symlinks to them.

Ran a benchmark against the database, REINDEX'd the tables, VACUUM FULL
ANALYZE'd, prepared to re-run the benchmark again and guess what?

The indexes were back on the original drive.

The process of REINDEX-ing obviously creates another file then drops the
original.

Is there a way to allow REINDEX to work without having this side affect?

Pre-creating a bunch of dangling symlinks doesn't work (tried that, it
gives a "ERROR: cannot create accounts_pkey: File exists" on FreeBSD
4.6.2 when using the REINDEX).

Any suggestions?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi

On 28 Sep 2002 at 17:08, Justin Clift wrote:

> Have moved the indexes to another drive, then created symlinks to them.
> Ran a benchmark against the database, REINDEX'd the tables, VACUUM FULL
> ANALYZE'd, prepared to re-run the benchmark again and guess what?
>
> The indexes were back on the original drive.
> Is there a way to allow REINDEX to work without having this side affect?
>
> Pre-creating a bunch of dangling symlinks doesn't work (tried that, it
> gives a "ERROR: cannot create accounts_pkey: File exists" on FreeBSD
> 4.6.2 when using the REINDEX).

Looks like we should have a subdirectory in database directory which stores

May be transaction logs, indexes goes in separte directory which can be
symlinked. Linking a directory is much simpler solution than linking a file.

I suggest we have per database transaction log and indexes created in separate
subdirectories for each database. Furhter given that large tables are segmented
after one GB size, a table should have it's own subdirectory optionally..

At the cost of few inodes, postgresql would gain much more flexibility and
hence tunability..

May be TODO for 7.4? Anyone?

Bye
Shridhar

--
Software, n.: Formal evening attire for female computer analysts.