SSL code fixed

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Cc: bgiles(at)coyotesong(dot)com
Subject: New SSL code to be removed
Date: 2002-09-25 13:41:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Because the new 7.3 SSL code doesn't work (per Peter), and the author is
not responding, I am about to yank out that code. Peter suggests
ripping out all the new code rather than try to pick around and remove
just the broken parts.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

> Because the new 7.3 SSL code doesn't work (per Peter), and the author is
> not responding, I am about to yank out that code. Peter suggests
> ripping out all the new code rather than try to pick around and remove
> just the broken parts.

Agreed. I allways wondered what SSL DB-connections are good for.

Jan

# It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being
right. #
# Let's break this rule - forgive
me. #
#==================================================
JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com #

> > Because the new 7.3 SSL code doesn't work (per Peter), and the author is
> > not responding, I am about to yank out that code. Peter suggests
> > ripping out all the new code rather than try to pick around and remove
> > just the broken parts.
>
> Agreed. I allways wondered what SSL DB-connections are good for.

I am not going to rip out SSL, just the changes. We do have people who
use SSL quite a bit. Looking at the code, however, I may see an easy
way to allow SSL connections without requiring server certificates. If
that is doable, I may just make that change and let the rest of the code
stay.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

> > Because the new 7.3 SSL code doesn't work (per Peter), and the author is
> > not responding, I am about to yank out that code. Peter suggests
> > ripping out all the new code rather than try to pick around and remove
> > just the broken parts.
>
> Agreed. I allways wondered what SSL DB-connections are good for.

I am now in email contact with Bear and he is assisting me in disabling
all certificates for 7.3. The code will be marked as NOT_USED and can
therefore be enables in later relases. He wants to get back this.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us