Re: Updates failing yet saying they succeeded.

Lists: pgsql-general
From: Oliver Jones <oliver(at)deeper(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Updates failing yet saying they succeeded.
Date: 2002-06-04 05:11:37
Lists: pgsql-general

I've been having a few problems with PgSQL not updateing data
correctly. Here is some evidence:

autosupply_co_jp=> update vehicle set fob_price =420000 where
chassis_number
autosupply_co_jp-> = 'RA2-1002998';
UPDATE 1
autosupply_co_jp=> select fob_price from vehicle where chassis_number =
'RA2-1042998';
fob_price
-----------
430000
(1 row)

autosupply_co_jp=> update vehicle set fob_price = 420000 where
chassis_number = 'RA2-1042998';
UPDATE 1
autosupply_co_jp=> select fob_price from vehicle where chassis_number =
'RA2-1042998';
fob_price
-----------
420000
(1 row)

WTF is up with that?

[oliver] hostility:~$ rpm -qa |grep post
postgresql-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-server-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-docs-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-jdbc-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-libs-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-devel-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-odbc-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-perl-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-tk-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-tcl-7.1.3-1PGDG

Regards

--

Oliver Jones > Software Engineer >
Deeper Design Limited.
> www.deeperdesign.com

It looks like it's doing exactly what you are asking. Observe:

Oliver Jones sez:
}
} autosupply_co_jp=> update vehicle set fob_price =420000 where
} chassis_number
} autosupply_co_jp-> = 'RA2-1002998';
} UPDATE 1

Okay, updating RA2-1002998...

} autosupply_co_jp=> select fob_price from vehicle where chassis_number =
} 'RA2-1042998';
} fob_price
} -----------
} 430000
} (1 row)

...but selecting on RA2-1042998.

} autosupply_co_jp=> update vehicle set fob_price = 420000 where
} chassis_number = 'RA2-1042998';
} UPDATE 1

This time, updating on RA2-1042998...

} autosupply_co_jp=> select fob_price from vehicle where chassis_number =
} 'RA2-1042998';
} fob_price
} 420000
} (1 row)

...and selecting on the same, RA2-1042998.

} WTF is up with that?

It didn't work the first time because you were not selecting the same thing
you'd updated. Pilot error.

[...]
} Oliver Jones > Software Engineer >
--Greg