Re: psql microsecond timing patch

Lists: pgsql-patches
From: greg(at)turnstep(dot)com
To: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: psql microsecond timing patch
Date: 2001-09-27 15:35:58
Lists: pgsql-patches

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 7.3 KB

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: greg(at)turnstep(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql microsecond timing patch
Date: 2001-09-27 16:21:00
Lists: pgsql-patches

greg(at)turnstep(dot)com writes:
> This is a small patch to allow you to time your queries in
> psql. Myself and some others have been using it and find it
> useful for telling how long an actual specific query takes,
> as opposed to EXPLAIN which just does an estimate.

Hmm. Is there any value in this now that we have EXPLAIN ANALYZE?

Microsecond-level timing on the client side seems like a dubious
proposition anyway ...

regards, tom lane

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: greg(at)turnstep(dot)com, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2001-09-28 19:43:36
Lists: pgsql-patches

> greg(at)turnstep(dot)com writes:
> > This is a small patch to allow you to time your queries in
> > psql. Myself and some others have been using it and find it
> > useful for telling how long an actual specific query takes,
> > as opposed to EXPLAIN which just does an estimate.
>
> Hmm. Is there any value in this now that we have EXPLAIN ANALYZE?
>
> Microsecond-level timing on the client side seems like a dubious
> proposition anyway ...

FYI, EXPLAIN ANALYZE will appear in 7.2:

test=> EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * FROM pg_class;
NOTICE: QUERY PLAN:

Seq Scan on pg_class (cost=0.00..3.01 rows=101 width=115) (actual
time=0.06..1.97 rows=101 loops=1)
Total runtime: 2.51 msec

EXPLAIN

--