Extended unit

Lists: pgsql-general
From: Pailloncy Jean-Gerard <jg(at)rilk(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Extended unit
Date: 2005-01-25 09:40:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

My question is purely theoretical.

I add use in my time in University some software that use "extended
type".
For each variable, we define the mandatory "classic type" as integer,
float, double array of.
And we define an optional "extended type" as the unit in the MKSA
system (Meter, Kilogram, Second, Ampere) or any other unit we would
have previously define (eg. Currency).

This "extended type" was wonderful, because there was warning/error if
"extend type" does not match in any computation: you can not add apple
to orange.

I would appreciate to have such system in PostgreSQL.

Do you think, it is feasible ? unrealistic ?
Any comment ?

Cordialement,
Jean-Gérard Pailloncy

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:40:15AM +0100, Pailloncy Jean-Gerard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My question is purely theoretical.
>
> I add use in my time in University some software that use "extended
> type".
> For each variable, we define the mandatory "classic type" as integer,
> float, double array of.
> And we define an optional "extended type" as the unit in the MKSA
> system (Meter, Kilogram, Second, Ampere) or any other unit we would
> have previously define (eg. Currency).
>
> This "extended type" was wonderful, because there was warning/error if
> "extend type" does not match in any computation: you can not add apple
> to orange.

I think it's a wonderful idea. You could use a similar mechanism to
implement:

- Currencies (so you can't add dollars to pounds)
- Timezone aware timestamps (so a time in Australia looks differet from
a time in Europe)

Probably much more.

> I would appreciate to have such system in PostgreSQL.
>
> Do you think, it is feasible ? unrealistic ?
> Any comment ?

I think it is definitly feasable. There's been discussion before. I
think the best way syntax-wise would be to extend the type system
generically to have subtypes. For example currency(gbp) and siunit(A).
This would simplify operators. You could create a simple add operator
that checked the subtype and complained if they didn't match. A
multiply operator for siunit might even return the appropriate derived
unit. An advanced add unit for currency might lookup an exchange rate
table.

However, I think this might be a tricky (but very worthwhile) project.
Maybe create a subtypes table with the columns (oid, supertypeid,
subtypename) and use the oid here to identify the subtype in storage.
To be complete it would need to change:

- The parser to idenify the new type definitions
- pg_dump to dump these types
- input/output functions for these types
- handle storage

But with a bit of work it could be a nice project.

Hope this helps,

# jg(at)rilk(dot)com / 2005-01-25 10:40:15 +0100:
> I add use in my time in University some software that use "extended
> type".
> For each variable, we define the mandatory "classic type" as integer,
> float, double array of.
> And we define an optional "extended type" as the unit in the MKSA
> system (Meter, Kilogram, Second, Ampere) or any other unit we would
> have previously define (eg. Currency).
>
> This "extended type" was wonderful, because there was warning/error if
> "extend type" does not match in any computation: you can not add apple
> to orange.
>
> I would appreciate to have such system in PostgreSQL.

Is CREATE TYPE what you're looking for?
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/sql-createtype.html

your message. see http://www.eyrie.org./~eagle/faqs/questions.html