Re: Get rid of system attributes in pg_attribute?

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Get rid of system attributes in pg_attribute?
Date: 2005-02-18 22:07:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org on behalf of Tom Lane
Sent: Fri 2/18/2005 8:48 PM
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [HACKERS] Get rid of system attributes in pg_attribute?

> Does anyone know of client code that actually pays attention
> to pg_attribute rows with negative attnums?

pgAdmin certainly knows about them, but I don't believe it'll break if they go. I'm a few thousand miles from my laptop atm though so I cannot look more throughly right now.

Regards, Dave

>> Does anyone know of client code that actually pays attention to
>> pg_attribute rows with negative attnums?
>
> pgAdmin certainly knows about them, but I don't believe it'll break
> if they go.

It only knows that attnum < 0 must be a system column; no specific
knowledge or interpretation of it.
Would those columns remain selectable for debugging/maintenance
purposes, despite not appearing in system catalogs?

Regards,
Andreas