Re: Backend Stats Enhancement Request

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: David Miller <miller392(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backend Stats Enhancement Request
Date: 2008-06-20 03:46:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> That's not where the problem is. The people who will be left holding
> the short end of the stick are the ones who can't raise their SHMMAX
> setting past a couple of megabytes.
>
> It might be feasible to make pg_stat_activity's max string length
> a postmaster-start-time configuration option.

I am fine with a postmaster-start-time configuration option. It is not as flexible as I would like, but would serve the immediate need and keep me from having to
patch every release of Postgres we install on boxes.

The load on our production servers really prohibits any kind of processing of the log files locally. We have tried using several log shipping methods to process the
logs on a machine with fewer running processes. These large queries are generated by a third party tool that we have very limited control over. Some of the queries
captured are as large 16K. The queries are poorly written/generated.

David Miller
River Systems, Inc.