Re: Getting “make: Entering an unknown directory” error while building postgresql on MIPS platform

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: shreesha21 <shreesha1988(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Getting “make: Entering an unknown directory” error while building postgresql on MIPS platform
Date: 2014-06-10 17:41:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

make[4]: Leaving directory
`/home/shreesha/platform/utils/postgresql-9.3.4/src/port'
/home/shreesha/platform/tools/bin/make -C timezone all
make[4]: Entering directory
`/home/shreesha/platform/utils/postgresql-9.3.4/src/timezone'
I am trying to install postgresql on MIPS platform and I am getting the
following error while building it.

/home/shreesha/platform/tools/bin/make -C common all

**make: Entering an unknown directory**

make: *** common: No such file or directory. Stop.

make: Leaving an unknown directory

make[4]: *** [common-recursive] Error 2

make[4]: Leaving directory
`/home/shreesha/platform/utils/postgresql-9.3.4/src/timezone'
make[3]: *** [all-timezone-recurse] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/shreesha/platform/utils/postgresql-9.3.4/src'
make[2]: *** [all-src-recurse] Error 2

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/shreesha/platform/utils/postgresql-9.3.4'

Do we need to set any specific make variables/environmental variables in
this case? Any help on debugging this is much appreciated!

shreesha21 <shreesha1988(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> make[4]: Leaving directory
> `/home/shreesha/platform/utils/postgresql-9.3.4/src/port'
> /home/shreesha/platform/tools/bin/make -C timezone all
> make[4]: Entering directory
> `/home/shreesha/platform/utils/postgresql-9.3.4/src/timezone'
> I am trying to install postgresql on MIPS platform and I am getting the
> following error while building it.

> /home/shreesha/platform/tools/bin/make -C common all

> **make: Entering an unknown directory**

> make: *** common: No such file or directory. Stop.

> make: Leaving an unknown directory

> make[4]: *** [common-recursive] Error 2

What seems like the most likely bet here is that make has inherited the
setting for SUBDIRS in src/Makefile into the child run in src/timezone/,
and so it's looking for a subdirectory "common" which of course ain't
there. Why this would not have happened within the previous two
subdirectories isn't real clear, but in any case that would be a bug
in "make".

What make version are you using? Can you try another one? If you're
trying a parallel build, maybe don't do that.

regards, tom lane