Re: -HEAD configure issue with libedit on linux

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: -HEAD configure issue with libedit on linux
Date: 2006-11-29 19:47:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

There seem to be a number of issues with our libedit support.
One of them is that we fail to build on Linux (at least on Debian
Etch/4.0 x86_64 and i386) if libedit-dev is installed but not
libreadline5-dev.

The problem is that in that configuration ./configure seems to think
that there is a working strlcpy available due to the fact that it
includes -ledit in the relevant configure test which seems to provide
strlcpy :-(
This results in a compile time failure as can be seen on:

http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=Shad&dt=2006-11-29%2019:39:31

It looks like emu is the only box on the buildfarm building with
--with-libedit-preferred which might explain why we have not noticed
that earlier.

Stefan

Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> writes:
> There seem to be a number of issues with our libedit support.
> One of them is that we fail to build on Linux (at least on Debian
> Etch/4.0 x86_64 and i386) if libedit-dev is installed but not
> libreadline5-dev.

And what other ones?

> The problem is that in that configuration ./configure seems to think
> that there is a working strlcpy available due to the fact that it
> includes -ledit in the relevant configure test which seems to provide
> strlcpy :-(

Fixed.

regards, tom lane

> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> writes:
> > There seem to be a number of issues with our libedit support.
> > One of them is that we fail to build on Linux (at least on Debian
> > Etch/4.0 x86_64 and i386) if libedit-dev is installed but not
> > libreadline5-dev.
>
> And what other ones?

Ubuntu Edgy and dapper 64bit do not suffer from this.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 12:18 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> writes:
> > > There seem to be a number of issues with our libedit support.
> > > One of them is that we fail to build on Linux (at least on Debian
> > > Etch/4.0 x86_64 and i386) if libedit-dev is installed but not
> > > libreadline5-dev.
> >
> > And what other ones?
>
> Ubuntu Edgy and dapper 64bit do not suffer from this.

Sorry I was cracked. Yes Ubuntu suffers from this (thanks to Stefan for
pointing out my flaw in testing).

> Joshua D. Drake
>

> > > The problem is that in that configuration ./configure seems to think
> > > that there is a working strlcpy available due to the fact that it
> > > includes -ledit in the relevant configure test which seems to provide
> > > strlcpy :-(
> >
> > Fixed.
> >
> > regards, tom lane

> > http://archives.postgresql.org

http://www.commandprompt.com/

> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> writes:
>> There seem to be a number of issues with our libedit support.
>> One of them is that we fail to build on Linux (at least on Debian
>> Etch/4.0 x86_64 and i386) if libedit-dev is installed but not
>> libreadline5-dev.
>
> And what other ones?

I'm too tired to look into that in more detail today but it looks like
we are not picking up libedit(which should be in the base installation
there) on FreeBSD even with --with-libedit-preferred

config.log available at:

http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/files/config.log

Stefan