Re: [HACKERS] CommitFest 2009-11 Call for Reviewers

Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-rrreviewers
From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CommitFest 2009-11 Call for Reviewers
Date: 2009-11-12 17:45:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

In a few days the 3rd 8.5 development CommitFest, 2009-11, is going to
kick off, with the end goal being an alpha3 prerelease. If you have a
patch in progress, you'll need to submit it before the deadline of
2009-11-15 00:00:00 GMT for it to be considered during this round:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch

The actual process of the CommitFest itself is fairly well documented at
this point:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reviewing_a_Patch
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/RRReviewers
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_a_CommitFest

For lack of a more qualified volunteer, I'll be handling the initial
round of patch assignments and reviewer organization. I suspect we'll
reorganize on the fly as things proceed based on who has time; I'd
certainly welcome patch-chasing help in addition to reviewing. Since
the backlog for this CommitFest is so far lighter than we've seen
recently, the small patches that don't already have an active reviewer
shouldn't be too difficult to get through.

Please send me an email (without copying the list) if you are available
to help with review. Include any information that might be helpful in
assigning you an appropriate patch. If there's a specific one you want
to claim, by all means let me know that. All reviewers will need to be
subscribed to the RRR mailing list, so when you write me please also
follow the subscription link at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-rrreviewers/ to add yourself to
that list, too, if you're not already there.

The set of patches I have the least feel for are the five ECPG
submissions, some of which were reviewed already. I would particularly
appreciate any early information reviewers might provide about their
capability/willingness to work on that set. Those are not so easy to
just split among multiple people due to how they relate to one another.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com

> For lack of a more qualified volunteer, I'll be handling the initial
> round of patch assignments and reviewer organization.

Hmmm? Who's more qualified than you, exactly?

--Josh Berkus

>> For lack of a more qualified volunteer, I'll be handling the initial
>> round of patch assignments and reviewer organization.
>>

> Hmmm? Who's more qualified than you, exactly?

I was alluding to the fact that Robert isn't available to handle this one.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] CommitFest 2009-11 Call for Reviewers
Date: 2009-11-12 19:12:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> The set of patches I have the least feel for are the five ECPG
> submissions, some of which were reviewed already. I would particularly
> appreciate any early information reviewers might provide about their
> capability/willingness to work on that set. Those are not so easy to
> just split among multiple people due to how they relate to one another.

AFAIK the ecpg patches are all waiting on Michael Meskes to have time
to review/commit them. ecpg is pretty much his turf and no other
committers are likely to touch these patches. If anyone really wants
to review them, of course, that's fine ... but I don't think you should
assign them to someone just because the CF process says to.

regards, tom lane

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2009-11-12 19:52:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > The set of patches I have the least feel for are the five ECPG
> > submissions, some of which were reviewed already. I would particularly
> > appreciate any early information reviewers might provide about their
> > capability/willingness to work on that set. Those are not so easy to
> > just split among multiple people due to how they relate to one another.
>
> AFAIK the ecpg patches are all waiting on Michael Meskes to have time
> to review/commit them. ecpg is pretty much his turf and no other
> committers are likely to touch these patches. If anyone really wants
> to review them, of course, that's fine ... but I don't think you should
> assign them to someone just because the CF process says to.

FWIW I committed the parts of one of these patches that touched the core
grammar mostly, because I think those might have been holding Michael
back a bit. Hopefully that'll make it easier for him to review the
rest.

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2009-11-12 21:25:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

Tom Lane wrote:
> AFAIK the ecpg patches are all waiting on Michael Meskes to have time
> to review/commit them. ecpg is pretty much his turf and no other
> committers are likely to touch these patches.
Great to know, and since some of the regular reviewers already made a
pass through them there's probably not too much general feedback left
anyway. I just marked all of those as having Michael as the reviewer.
If it gets to where those are the main remaining hold-up I guess we'll
revisit who else might help out then. Would rather get the patches it's
more obvious how to handle out of the way first.

Not considering those, HS/SR, or other patches with an already assigned
reviewer, we're at 16 patches in the queue, and I've got 9 reviewer
volunteers just so far today. Barring a flood of last-minute entries,
if I can get each reviewer to handle one patch and a moderate percentage
of them to handle two, that should be all it takes for this round. Will
move the rest of the discussion here to just rrreviewers.

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2009-11-13 00:13:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> In a few days the 3rd 8.5 development CommitFest, 2009-11, is going to
> kick off, with the end goal being an alpha3 prerelease.

Can I review these two patches?

Hook and contrib module for checking password strength
Add YAML output to EXPLAIN

---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2009-11-13 01:12:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
> Can I review these two patches?
> Hook and contrib module for checking password strength
> Add YAML output to EXPLAIN

Sure; I haven't heard any interest in those two from anyone else yet, so
they're yours. Basically anyone who wants a patch is free to claim it
on the CommitFest, which you already did.

In some cases, I've started suggesting patches to some of you who had a
general area you wanted to work in but didn't otherwise have a
preference. As I get confirmation my suggestions are accepted, I'm
tagging the patches in the CF app with names. Come the 15th, I'm just
going to assign everyone who's still left to something that seems to fit
their skills and schedule, as I understand them. There are only 10
patches left without a reviewer right now though, so there isn't going
to be that much of that needed. 3 of those I've suggested to various
people already, but none of those would override someone who was
enthusiastic about a particular patch and claimed it first.

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2009-11-13 07:07:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 04:52:20PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> FWIW I committed the parts of one of these patches that touched the core

Thanks for your help.

> grammar mostly, because I think those might have been holding Michael
> back a bit. Hopefully that'll make it easier for him to review the

No, not really. I don't mind reviewing and committing to the core grammar at
all. What holds me back is simply my lack of time.

michael
--
Michael Meskes
ICQ: 179140304, AIM/Yahoo/Skype: michaelmeskes, Jabber: meskes(at)jabber(dot)org

From: Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2009-11-13 18:17:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

Greg Smith wrote:
> Basically anyone who wants a patch is free to claim it
> on the CommitFest, which you already did.

I can take Partitioning Option for COPY (already marked myself as reviewer).

Jan

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CommitFest 2009-11: Almost done with initial assignments
Date: 2009-11-13 19:52:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

Seems that a lot of people wanted to get started early on assignments,
lots of travel around Thanksgiving factoring into that I think. While
we expect some more patches to come in, we're done with assigning a
reviewer to every *old* patch, all of the unclaimed ones being things
submitted in the last week. I'd like to stay as close to
first-in/first-reviewed as possible here, so far that's working out
quite well.

Here are the patches we don't have a reviewer for yet (this list will
grow over the next two days):

Listen / Notify rewrite
SE-PostgreSQL/Lite
Largeobject access controls
Python 3.1 support

The big patches we're going to have a hard time getting reviewed again
this time are the SE-PostgreSQL/Lite and Largeobject patches. If anyone
has an interest in either of those subjects, please let me know, whether
or not you've already "claimed" another patch. I can easily find an
alternate for any other patch in the CF, but someone who's willing to
work on the big SEPostgreSQL patches is harder to line up.

Right now I show the following people as having volunteered and
available, but not having been assigned anything yet:

Abhijit Menon-Sen
Bernd Helmle
Andrew Gierth

We have a couple of people who aren't really available for substantial
patches now, but might be during December:

Jaime Casanova
David Wheeler

I suspect that a couple of the patches in the queue (the two
partitioning ones and LISTEN/NOTIFY) are going to take more than one
round of review before they're ready for a committer, just because
there's open design issues with them rather than just coding. Might ask
Jamie or David to handle a second pass over those if it comes to that.

Given that several people volunteered to review two patches, and the
unprecedented number of reviewers, I don't expect anyone will be asked
to review a second patch this time unless they volunteer to do so.

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2009-11-13 20:38:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

On Nov 13, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Greg Smith wrote:

> I suspect that a couple of the patches in the queue (the two partitioning ones and LISTEN/NOTIFY) are going to take more than one round of review before they're ready for a committer, just because there's open design issues with them rather than just coding. Might ask Jamie or David to handle a second pass over those if it comes to that.

+1 Makes sense to me.

David

From: Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2009-11-13 21:24:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

Greg Smith wrote:
> Here are the patches we don't have a reviewer for yet (this list will
> grow over the next two days):

> Python 3.1 support

Oh, that one's not taken yet?

> Given that several people volunteered to review two patches, and the
> unprecedented number of reviewers, I don't expect anyone will be asked
> to review a second patch this time unless they volunteer to do so.

I took one already, but can also take the Python one, I'm probably more
suited to review that one than the other.

Cheers,
Jan

From: Dan Colish <dcolish(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2009-11-13 21:25:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:38 PM, David E. Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Greg Smith wrote:
>
> > I suspect that a couple of the patches in the queue (the two partitioning
> ones and LISTEN/NOTIFY) are going to take more than one round of review
> before they're ready for a committer, just because there's open design
> issues with them rather than just coding. Might ask Jamie or David to
> handle a second pass over those if it comes to that.
>
> +1 Makes sense to me.
>
> David
> --

I'm pretty busy at the moment so I don't think I can take a full patch
review on by myself, but if anyone needs help let me know.

--
--Dan

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2009-11-14 05:27:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

Greg> Right now I show the following people as having volunteered and
Greg> available, but not having been assigned anything yet:

Greg> Abhijit Menon-Sen
Greg> Bernd Helmle
Greg> Andrew Gierth

I could take the window frames one...