Make targets of doc links used by phpPgAdmin static

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Make targets of doc links used by phpPgAdmin static
Date: 2013-05-07 05:32:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Attached is a documentation patch against head which makes
static the targets of the on-line PG html documentation that
are referenced by the phpPgAdmin help system.

Apply with "patch -p1" at the top of the pg code tree.

The phpPgAdmin project is a web interface into PG. It
contains help links which reference the PG on-line docs. At
present, each time there's a new PG release many of the
internal ids within PGs html doc pages change, and the
phpPgAdmin code must track such changes. This
patch makes static those ids referenced by phpPgAdmin.

Of course phpPgAdmin will always need to adjust to changes
in the PG docs but this patch will eliminate periodic
annoying scutwork.

Regards,

Karl <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Attachment Content-Type Size
ppa_id_v1.patch text/x-patch 1.9 KB

On Tue, 2013-05-07 at 00:32 -0500, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> Attached is a documentation patch against head which makes
> static the targets of the on-line PG html documentation that
> are referenced by the phpPgAdmin help system.e

done

> On Tue, 2013-05-07 at 00:32 -0500, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> > Attached is a documentation patch against head which makes
> > static the targets of the on-line PG html documentation that
> > are referenced by the phpPgAdmin help system.e
>
> done

I wonder about backpatching this to 9.2 ?

On 06/04/2013 10:16:20 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-05-07 at 23:18 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > >
> > > done
> >
> > I wonder about backpatching this to 9.2 ?
>
> done

Will this be in the next point release? Or just when
will it go live?

This is not a huge problem but it does break some
existing links into the 9.2 PG docs.

On Tue, 2013-06-04 at 22:27 -0500, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> On 06/04/2013 10:16:20 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > > I wonder about backpatching this to 9.2 ?
> >
> > done
>
> Will this be in the next point release? Or just when
> will it go live?

I don't know when it goes to the web site, but it will be in the next
point release.

> This is not a huge problem but it does break some
> existing links into the 9.2 PG docs.

Well, if it doesn't help you, I can back it out again.

On Jun 6, 2013 4:14 AM, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-06-04 at 22:27 -0500, Karl O. Pinc wrote:

> > > done
> >
> > Will this be in the next point release? Or just when
> > will it go live?
>
> I don't know when it goes to the web site, but it will be in the next
> point release.

Website doc updates for back branches are loaded at the same time as the
release is pushed. The "developer docs" are loaded every few hours from
git, but release docs are only loaded on release day.

/Magnus

On 06/05/2013 09:13:45 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-06-04 at 22:27 -0500, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> that

> > > done
> >
> > Will this be in the next point release? Or just when
> > will it go live?
>
> I don't know when it goes to the web site, but it will be in the next
> point release.

Ok. Thanks.

> > This is not a huge problem but it does break some
> > existing links into the 9.2 PG docs.
>
> Well, if it doesn't help you, I can back it out again.

It doesn't make me miserable and it sounds like
other people want it. In theory the automatically
generated anchors could change and break things
anyway. I'm happy to let somebody
else decide what to do.