describe objects, as in pg_depend

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: describe objects, as in pg_depend
Date: 2010-11-17 13:39:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

A customer of ours (Enova Financial) requested the ability to describe
objects in pg_depend. The wiki contains a simplistic SQL snippet that
does the task, but only for some of the object types, and it's rather
ugly. It struck me that we could fulfill this very easily by exposing
the getObjectDescription() function at the SQL level, as in the attached
module.

I propose we include this as a builtin function.

Opinions?

--
Álvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>

Attachment Content-Type Size
describe.c text/plain 722 bytes

> A customer of ours (Enova Financial) requested the ability to describe
> objects in pg_depend. The wiki contains a simplistic SQL snippet that
> does the task, but only for some of the object types, and it's rather
> ugly. It struck me that we could fulfill this very easily by exposing
> the getObjectDescription() function at the SQL level, as in the attached
> module.

What's the point of the InvalidOid check? It seems like you're mostly
just introducing a corner case: sometimes, but not always, the function
will return NULL instead of failing for bad input. I think it should
just fail always.

regards, tom lane

Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mié nov 17 12:20:06 -0300 2010:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:
> > A customer of ours (Enova Financial) requested the ability to describe
> > objects in pg_depend. The wiki contains a simplistic SQL snippet that
> > does the task, but only for some of the object types, and it's rather
> > ugly. It struck me that we could fulfill this very easily by exposing
> > the getObjectDescription() function at the SQL level, as in the attached
> > module.
>
> What's the point of the InvalidOid check? It seems like you're mostly
> just introducing a corner case: sometimes, but not always, the function
> will return NULL instead of failing for bad input. I think it should
> just fail always.

If the check is not there, the calling query will have to prevent the
function from being called on rows having OID=0 in pg_depend. (These
rows show up in the catalog for pinned objects). The query becomes
either incomplete (because you don't report pinned objects) or awkward
(because you have to insert a CASE expression to avoid calling the
function in that case).

I don't think it's all that necessary anyway. If the function goes in
without that check, it will still be a huge improvement over the statu
quo.