Re: Stalled post to pgsql-committers

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Stalled post to pgsql-committers
Date: 2010-09-25 16:43:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm not subscribed to pgsql-committers, but apparently under the new
git-enabled setup, I'm getting a "Stalled post to pgsql-committers"
message for every commit. Fix that please.

On 25/09/10 19:43, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I'm not subscribed to pgsql-committers, but apparently under the new
> git-enabled setup, I'm getting a "Stalled post to pgsql-committers"
> message for every commit. Fix that please.

Just subscribe with 'nomail'. That's what I did.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 15:39, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 25/09/10 19:43, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>
>> I'm not subscribed to pgsql-committers, but apparently under the new
>> git-enabled setup, I'm getting a "Stalled post to pgsql-committers"
>> message for every commit.  Fix that please.
>
> Just subscribe with 'nomail'. That's what I did.

Yeah, that's what you need to do. I would guess you were previously
subscribed as peter(at)postgresql(dot)org, but the git commit scrpit sends
the email from peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, so you need to subscribe from that one
(with or without nomail).

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

On sön, 2010-09-26 at 17:11 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 15:39, Heikki Linnakangas
> > On 25/09/10 19:43, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm not subscribed to pgsql-committers, but apparently under the new
> >> git-enabled setup, I'm getting a "Stalled post to pgsql-committers"
> >> message for every commit. Fix that please.
> >
> > Just subscribe with 'nomail'. That's what I did.
>
> Yeah, that's what you need to do. I would guess you were previously
> subscribed as peter(at)postgresql(dot)org, but the git commit scrpit sends
> the email from peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, so you need to subscribe from that one
> (with or without nomail).

No, that address was not subscribed to that list. There must have been
some other mechanism at work.

Btw., I think it would be more proper if the commit notifications
contained a header like

so that they don't give a false impression about the origin of the
message.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 10:08, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On sön, 2010-09-26 at 17:11 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 15:39, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

>> > Just subscribe with 'nomail'. That's what I did.
>>
>> Yeah, that's what you need to do. I would guess you were previously
>> subscribed as peter(at)postgresql(dot)org, but the git commit scrpit sends
>> the email from peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, so you need to subscribe from that one
>> (with or without nomail).
>
> No, that address was not subscribed to that list.  There must have been
> some other mechanism at work.
>
> Btw., I think it would be more proper if the commit notifications
> contained a header like
>
> Sender: git(at)gitmaster(dot)postgresql(dot)org
>
> so that they don't give a false impression about the origin of the
> message.

We discussed that before, and it was a very clear requirement that
they were sent from the committer, and not from git(at)(dot)

And FWIW, majordomo does it's filtering on From and not Sender, so it
wouldn't make a difference just changing Sender, it'd need to change
From. We could probably add a X-<something> header to it if what
you're looking for is a way to filter them client side?

On ons, 2010-09-29 at 10:19 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Btw., I think it would be more proper if the commit notifications
> > contained a header like
> >
> > Sender: git(at)gitmaster(dot)postgresql(dot)org
> >
> > so that they don't give a false impression about the origin of the
> > message.
>
> We discussed that before, and it was a very clear requirement that
> they were sent from the committer, and not from git(at)(dot)

This not really a matter of taste or policy, it's about RFC 822
correctness and not impostering people. You would of course keep the