Re: Latches, loop and exit

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Latches, loop and exit
Date: 2010-09-14 15:14:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Like latches, nice one.

The way the loop in WalSender now happens it won't send any outstanding
WAL if a shutdown is requested while it is waiting.

That probably needs to change and we'd do similarly in other procs.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> Like latches, nice one.
>
> The way the loop in WalSender now happens it won't send any outstanding
> WAL if a shutdown is requested while it is waiting.
>
> That probably needs to change and we'd do similarly in other procs.

Really? ISTM that walsender tries to send all outstanding WAL without
problems after it receives SIGUSR2. Am I missing something?

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 10:33 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Like latches, nice one.
> >
> > The way the loop in WalSender now happens it won't send any outstanding
> > WAL if a shutdown is requested while it is waiting.
> >
> > That probably needs to change and we'd do similarly in other procs.
>
> Really? ISTM that walsender tries to send all outstanding WAL without
> problems after it receives SIGUSR2. Am I missing something?

For SIGUSR2, you're right.

However, if the following clause is ever invoked, then the loop does
have problems and we leave when not caught up.

if (!PostmasterIsAlive(true))
exit(1);

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com