Re: GIN fast insert

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: GIN fast insert
Date: 2009-02-11 02:59:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeff Davis asked me if I'd be willing to do a review of the GIN fast
insert patch about two weeks ago, but I haven't actually had a chance
to read through it in detail until tonight. I can't say I really know
anything about GIN (though I did take this opportunity to RTM), so
apologies in advance if my comments here are totally off base.

My basic impression of this code is that it's trying unnaturally hard
to avoid creating a lossy TIDBitmap, which seems pretty odd,
considering that the whole point of TIDBitmap is, AFAICS, to degrade
to lossy mode when the alternative is eating too much memory. I'm
particularly dismayed by this hunk:

+ if ( ntids == NULL && tbm && tbm_has_lossy(tbm) )
+ ereport(ERROR,
+ (errcode(ERRCODE_OUT_OF_MEMORY),
+ errmsg("not enough memory to
store result of pending list or VACUUM table" ),
+ errhint("Increase the
\"work_mem\" parameter.")));

The definition of work_mem is the amount of memory that a hash table
can use before spilling to disk, NOT the amount of memory a hash table
can consume before arbitrarily failing. It's intended to be a soft
limit which people can tune to get the best performance out of their
system, not a hard limit that interrupts work. Using the limit this
way will encourage people to set work_mem too high so that things
don't crash, but that in turn will potentially lead to other bad
behavior (like swapping). I see that there's already one other place
in the GIN code that uses work_mem this way, but I don't think that's
a good reason to add another one - I don't see any other place in the
system that behaves this way, outside of GIN.

I think this is related to the problems with gincostestimate() that
Tom Lane was complaining about here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20441.1234209245@sss.pgh.pa.us

I am not 100% sure I'm understanding this correctly, but I think the
reason why gincostestimate() is so desperate to avoid index scans when
the pending list is long is because it knows that scanFastInsert()
will blow up if an index scan is actually attempted because of the
aforementioned TIDBitmap problem. This seems unacceptably fragile.
Faster insert performance is nice, but not if it means that my indices
suddenly start switching themselves off (which is bad) or in the
presence of cached plans, crashing (which is worse).

I think this code needs to be somehow rewritten to make things degrade
gracefully when the pending list is long - I'm not sure what the best
way to do that is. Inventing a new data structure to store TIDs that
is never lossy seems like it might work, but you'd have to think about
what to do if it got too big. I think it's probably best to just go
ahead and let it get arbitrarily long (since you have no other option
besides crashing) and leave work_mem out of it. Instead, put a
reloption it that controls the maximum length of the pending list.
This is easy to tune: if you make it bigger, insert performance
improves, but queries eat more memory. If you make it smaller, insert
performance gets worse, but you bound the memory that queries use more
tightly.

The other problem with using work_mem is that it can vary between
sessions, so one session happily stuffs a lot of data into the pending
list and then another session can't scan the index because it has a
lower work_mem setting. Using a reloption avoids that problem by
making the whole thing symmetric, plus it gives you fine-grained
control over the behavior on an index-by-index basis.

...Robert

> I think this is related to the problems with gincostestimate() that
> Tom Lane was complaining about here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20441.1234209245@sss.pgh.pa.us

> I am not 100% sure I'm understanding this correctly, but I think the
> reason why gincostestimate() is so desperate to avoid index scans when
> the pending list is long is because it knows that scanFastInsert()
> will blow up if an index scan is actually attempted because of the
> aforementioned TIDBitmap problem. This seems unacceptably fragile.

Yipes. If that's really the reason then I agree, it's a nonstarter.

> I think this code needs to be somehow rewritten to make things degrade
> gracefully when the pending list is long - I'm not sure what the best
> way to do that is. Inventing a new data structure to store TIDs that
> is never lossy seems like it might work, but you'd have to think about
> what to do if it got too big.

What would be wrong with letting it degrade to lossy? I suppose the
reason it's trying to avoid that is to avoid having to recheck all the
rows on that page when it comes time to do the index insertion; but
surely having to do that is better than having arbitrary, unpredictable
failure conditions.

It strikes me that part of the issue here is that the behavior of this
code is much better adapted to the bitmap-scan API than the traditional
indexscan API. Since GIN doesn't support ordered scan anyway, I wonder
whether it wouldn't be more sensible to simply allow it to not offer
the traditional API. It should be easy to make the planner ignore plain
indexscan plans for an AM that didn't support them.

regards, tom lane

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I think this code needs to be somehow rewritten to make things degrade
>> gracefully when the pending list is long - I'm not sure what the best
>> way to do that is. Inventing a new data structure to store TIDs that
>> is never lossy seems like it might work, but you'd have to think about
>> what to do if it got too big.
>
> What would be wrong with letting it degrade to lossy? I suppose the
> reason it's trying to avoid that is to avoid having to recheck all the
> rows on that page when it comes time to do the index insertion; but
> surely having to do that is better than having arbitrary, unpredictable
> failure conditions.

No, I don't think that's it. See here, beginning with "the problem
with lossy tbm has two aspects":

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4974B002.3040202@sigaev.ru

> It strikes me that part of the issue here is that the behavior of this
> code is much better adapted to the bitmap-scan API than the traditional
> indexscan API. Since GIN doesn't support ordered scan anyway, I wonder
> whether it wouldn't be more sensible to simply allow it to not offer
> the traditional API. It should be easy to make the planner ignore plain
> indexscan plans for an AM that didn't support them.

If that doesn't lead to a performance degradation, I think it would be
a good idea. It certainly seems like it would allow this patch to be
a LOT simpler, cleaner, and more robust.

...Robert

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> It strikes me that part of the issue here is that the behavior of this
>> code is much better adapted to the bitmap-scan API than the traditional
>> indexscan API. Since GIN doesn't support ordered scan anyway, I wonder
>> whether it wouldn't be more sensible to simply allow it to not offer
>> the traditional API. It should be easy to make the planner ignore plain
>> indexscan plans for an AM that didn't support them.

> If that doesn't lead to a performance degradation, I think it would be
> a good idea.

For queries that select only a single index entry, there might be some
speed degradation, but a quick test suggests it's in the
single-digit-percentage range if everything's cached; and of course if
you have to go to disk then the extra CPU cycles to push a bitmap around
are lost in the noise.

In any case, as a wise man once said "I can make this code arbitrarily
fast, if it doesn't have to give the right answer". Blowing up in easily
foreseeable circumstances isn't my idea of giving the right answer.

regards, tom lane

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> For queries that select only a single index entry, there might be some
> speed degradation, but a quick test suggests it's in the
> single-digit-percentage range if everything's cached; and of course if
> you have to go to disk then the extra CPU cycles to push a bitmap around
> are lost in the noise.
>
> In any case, as a wise man once said "I can make this code arbitrarily
> fast, if it doesn't have to give the right answer". Blowing up in easily
> foreseeable circumstances isn't my idea of giving the right answer.

Sure, but dropping index-scan support is not the only way of fixing
that problem. It has a certain elegance to it, but if it produces a
perceptible slowdown, it may not be the best approach.

...Robert