primary/secondary/master/slave/standby

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: primary/secondary/master/slave/standby
Date: 2010-05-12 16:33:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The server's messages and the documentation uses all of these terms in
mixed ways. Maybe we could decide on some preferred terminology and
adjust the existing texts. Ideas?

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: primary/secondary/master/slave/standby
Date: 2010-05-12 16:37:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 07:33:53PM +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The server's messages and the documentation uses all of these terms in
> mixed ways. Maybe we could decide on some preferred terminology and
> adjust the existing texts. Ideas?

How about origin/subscriber? More descriptive than primary/secondary,
and less tied to a particular model of interaction.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!