Re: How to generate specific WAL records?

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Koichi Suzuki <koichi(dot)szk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to generate specific WAL records?
Date: 2010-04-13 11:18:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Does anyone know how to generate the following WAL records from psql?

I'm now fixing pg_lesslog, which I reported a bug. Now code is
almost okay and I'd like to add test tools to show pg_lesslog can
handle all the WAL record correctly.

XLOG_MULTIXACT_ZERO_OFF_PAGE
XLOG_MULTIXACT_ZERO_MEM_PAGE
XLOG_MULTIXACT_CREATE_ID
XLOG_HEAP_LOCK
XLOG_HEAP_INIT_PAGE
XLOG_BTREE_INSERT_META
XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE
XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE_META
XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE_HALF
XLOG_GIN_CREATE_PTREE
XLOG_GIN_SPLIT
XLOG_GIN_VACUUM_PAGE
XLOG_GIN_DELETE_PAGE
XLOG_GIN_DELETE_LISTPAGE
XLOG_GIST_PAGE_DELETE

So far, I'm using conventional BTREE, btree_gin and btree_gist for
the test, as well as 2PC and savepoint.

Any information is welcome.

Thank you very much in advance;
------
Koichi Suzuki

> Does anyone know how to generate the following WAL records from psql?
>
> I'm now fixing pg_lesslog, which I reported a bug. Now code is
> almost okay and I'd like to add test tools to show pg_lesslog can
> handle all the WAL record correctly.
>
> XLOG_MULTIXACT_ZERO_OFF_PAGE
> XLOG_MULTIXACT_ZERO_MEM_PAGE
> XLOG_MULTIXACT_CREATE_ID

For these, you need to do SELECT FOR SHARE of a tuple in more than one
concurrent session.

I think HEAP_LOCK is SELECT FOR UPDATE.

> XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE
> XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE_META
> XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE_HALF

These are caused during vacuum of a btree. Create an index, populate
it, then remove all items. Then vacuum twice.