Re: ruby connect

Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
From: Justin Carrera <j-carrera(at)northwestern(dot)edu>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ruby connect
Date: 2009-05-31 00:46:13
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

I'm trying to connect ruby to postgres on ubuntu and the only link I found that has the library is down. Does anyone have the postgres library for ruby? Or direct me to it?

Justin Darby Carrera
Database Programmer/Analyst
MED-Department of Medical Social Sciences
j-carrera(at)northwestern(dot)edu<mailto:j-carrera(at)northwestern(dot)edu>
312-695-8994

> I’m trying to connect ruby to postgres on ubuntu and the only link I found
> that has the library is down. Does anyone have the postgres library for
> ruby? Or direct me to it?

You would be better off searching for the drivers on rubyforge.org. Please
do not send non-Postgres-development related queries on this list.

Regards,
Nikhils
--
http://www.enterprisedb.com

From: Justin Carrera <j-carrera(at)northwestern(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2009-06-01 13:28:39
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi,

From: Justin Carrera <j-carrera(at)northwestern(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2009-06-01 13:29:30
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi,

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Justin Carrera <j-carrera(at)northwestern(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2009-06-01 13:57:49
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 09:29 -0400, Justin Carrera wrote:
> Does anyone have the postgres library for ruby?

http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pg

Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com
http://www.gunduz.org

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Justin Carrera <j-carrera(at)northwestern(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2009-06-01 14:03:34
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Justin Carrera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to connect ruby to postgres on ubuntu and the only link I
> found that has the library is down.

Details of the link might have helped the other readers on this list.
The owner might not know.

> Does anyone have the postgres
> library for ruby? Or direct me to it?

I think this is the current project:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pg/

It would help if it came up prominently on searches for "postgresql" though.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Justin Carrera <j-carrera(at)northwestern(dot)edu>, PgSql General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2009-06-01 15:38:55
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Justin Carrera wrote:
> I will remember that for next time.
>
> Thank you for the link.
>
> I tried installing the gem but unsuccessful...
>
> root(at)CodeHo:/home/justin/Documents/ruby# gem install postgres -- --with-pgsql-include=/opt/PostgreSQL/8.3/include --with-pgsql-lib=/opt/PostgreSQL/8.3/lib
> Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> ERROR: Error installing postgres:
> ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> /usr/bin/ruby1.9 extconf.rb install postgres -- --with-pgsql-include=/opt/PostgreSQL/8.3/include --with-pgsql-lib=/opt/PostgreSQL/8.3/lib
> extconf.rb:4:in `<main>': uninitialized constant PLATFORM (NameError)

I'm afraid I don't use ruby, so I can't provide specific advice.
However, this looks to me like the gem installer expects a PLATFORM
(e.g. "linux") to be defined and can't find it. I'd expect there is a
guide to setting up your gems environment somewhere on the ruby pages
though.

However, before you spend too long with this - are you sure there isn't
an Ubuntu package for this? A few seconds' searching suggests this might
be what you're after:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libpgsql-ruby

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd

From: Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2009-06-02 01:55:04
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> I’m trying to connect ruby to postgres on ubuntu and the only link I
> found that has the library is down. Does anyone have the postgres
> library for ruby? Or direct me to it?

Yeah, I think this is an area that we need to address if we want to see
wider adoption of Postgres. I started out to write a postgres utility in
Ruby. I think I eventually got it to work. But by that time I was
convinced that noone would actually go thru that much hassle in order to
try out the app. So I wrote it in Python instead. But if I was a Ruby
developer setting out to write a database application, I'm sure I would
have given up on Postgres and used MySQL instead.

Scott

From: Marcin Stępnicki <mstepnicki(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2009-06-18 14:01:58
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Dnia Mon, 01 Jun 2009 09:29:30 -0400, Justin Carrera napisał(a):

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to connect ruby to postgres on ubuntu and the only link I
> found that has the library is down. Does anyone have the postgres
> library for ruby? Or direct me to it?

It's in the libpgsql-ruby package.