Re: New compile warnings in CVS

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: New compile warnings in CVS
Date: 2004-10-26 17:37:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I just updated my CVS copy and am seeing four new warnings from
pgstat.c:

pgstat.c:2352: warning: variable `dbentry' might be clobbered by
`longjmp' or `vfork'
pgstat.c:2360: warning: variable `havebackends' might be clobbered by
`longjmp' or `vfork'
pgstat.c:2362: warning: variable `use_mcxt' might be clobbered by
`longjmp' or `vfork'
pgstat.c:2363: warning: variable `mcxt_flags' might be clobbered by
`longjmp' or `vfork'

Any ideas on this?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

> I just updated my CVS copy and am seeing four new warnings from
> pgstat.c:
>
> pgstat.c:2352: warning: variable `dbentry' might be clobbered by
> `longjmp' or `vfork'
> pgstat.c:2360: warning: variable `havebackends' might be clobbered by
> `longjmp' or `vfork'
> pgstat.c:2362: warning: variable `use_mcxt' might be clobbered by
> `longjmp' or `vfork'
> pgstat.c:2363: warning: variable `mcxt_flags' might be clobbered by
> `longjmp' or `vfork'
>
> Any ideas on this?

Oh this is BSD/OS 4.3 using gcc:

gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

> I just updated my CVS copy and am seeing four new warnings from
> pgstat.c:

> pgstat.c:2352: warning: variable `dbentry' might be clobbered by
> `longjmp' or `vfork'
> pgstat.c:2360: warning: variable `havebackends' might be clobbered by
> `longjmp' or `vfork'
> pgstat.c:2362: warning: variable `use_mcxt' might be clobbered by
> `longjmp' or `vfork'
> pgstat.c:2363: warning: variable `mcxt_flags' might be clobbered by
> `longjmp' or `vfork'

No doubt this is from the PG_TRY that Neil added a couple days ago.
I think he is going to take it out again in favor of using AllocateFile,
so ignore the warnings for now (they're obviously bogus anyway).

regards, tom lane

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 03:57, Tom Lane wrote:
> No doubt this is from the PG_TRY that Neil added a couple days ago.
> I think he is going to take it out again in favor of using AllocateFile,
> so ignore the warnings for now (they're obviously bogus anyway).

Sorry, I didn't see those compile warnings locally (using GCC 3.3).

I'll send the patch for AllocateFile() to -patches shortly.

-Neil