psql \dt and table size

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql \dt and table size
Date: 2011-03-21 17:44:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It stroke me today again, that \dt+ isn't displaying the acurate table size
for tables, since it uses pg_relation_size() till now. With having
pg_table_size() since PostgreSQL 9.0 available, i believe it would be more
useful to have the total acquired storage displayed, including implicit
objects (the mentioned case where it was not very useful atm was a table
with a big TOAST table).

Attached minor patch extends \dt to use pg_table_size() starting with
PostgreSQL 9.0, not sure if we backport such changes though. It would be
interesting for 9.1, however.

--
Thanks

Bernd

Attachment Content-Type Size
psql_tablesize.patch application/octet-stream 1.5 KB

+1 for fixing this behavior in 9.1. -1 for changing in 9.0, as the
change in behavior mid-release will cause more confusion than the
incomplete accounting does.

Cheers,
David.
On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 06:44:51PM +0100, Bernd Helmle wrote:
> It stroke me today again, that \dt+ isn't displaying the acurate
> table size for tables, since it uses pg_relation_size() till now.
> With having pg_table_size() since PostgreSQL 9.0 available, i
> believe it would be more useful to have the total acquired storage
> displayed, including implicit objects (the mentioned case where it
> was not very useful atm was a table with a big TOAST table).
>
> Attached minor patch extends \dt to use pg_table_size() starting
> with PostgreSQL 9.0, not sure if we backport such changes though. It
> would be interesting for 9.1, however.
>
> --
> Thanks
>
> Bernd

> --

Remember to vote!

2011/3/22 David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>:
> +1 for fixing this behavior in 9.1.  -1 for changing in 9.0, as the
> change in behavior mid-release will cause more confusion than the
> incomplete accounting does.

Idem.