Re: [HACKERS] WAL archiving idle database

Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
From: Brian Wipf <brian(at)clickspace(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: WAL archiving idle database
Date: 2007-10-26 21:08:12
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

I have a test PG 8.2.5 installation that has been left idle with no
connections to it whatsoever for the last 24 hours plus. WALs are
being archived exactly 5 minutes apart, even though archive_timeout
is set to 60. Is this the expected behavior for a database with no
changes?

Brian

On Oct 26, 2007, at 4:08 PM, Brian Wipf wrote:

> I have a test PG 8.2.5 installation that has been left idle with no
> connections to it whatsoever for the last 24 hours plus. WALs are
> being archived exactly 5 minutes apart, even though archive_timeout
> is set to 60. Is this the expected behavior for a database with no
> changes?
>
> Brian

In the absence of activity, WAL are archived every checkpoint_timeout
seconds. archive_timeout is how long postgres will wait for the
archive_command to return before declaring it failed.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik(at)myemma(dot)com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888