Re: Remove lossy-operator RECHECK flag?

Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
From: "Teodor Sigaev" <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: "Thttps://mail(dot)sigaev(dot)ru/src/webmail(dot)phpom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Teodor Sigaev" <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remove lossy-operator RECHECK flag?
Date: 2008-04-11 19:38:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> I'm leaning towards removing RECHECK because it'll allow simplification
I vote to do it.

> I seem to recall that you had some plans for other incompatible changes
> in the call conventions for GIST/GIN support functions, too. If
Right now we suggest only new feature which just extent interface. Gregory
suggested to split compare method to two methods and I'm intending to do
it.

--
Teodor Sigaev Email: teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru
WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Teodor Sigaev" <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2008-04-13 19:21:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

I've committed changes that move the determination of whether recheck is
required into the index AMs. Right now, GIST and GIN just always set
the recheck flag to TRUE. Obviously that control should be pushed down
to the opclass consistent() functions, but I don't know that code well
enough to be clear on exactly what should happen. Are you willing to
do that part?

regards, tom lane

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Teodor Sigaev" <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Remove lossy-operator RECHECK flag?
Date: 2008-04-14 02:12:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

I wrote:
> I've committed changes that move the determination of whether recheck is
> required into the index AMs. Right now, GIST and GIN just always set
> the recheck flag to TRUE. Obviously that control should be pushed down
> to the opclass consistent() functions, but I don't know that code well
> enough to be clear on exactly what should happen. Are you willing to
> do that part?

Actually, I think I figured it out. Please look over the GIST/GIN parts
of this patch and see if they're OK with you.

This is still WIP because I haven't touched any contrib code, but
as far as the main backend goes I think it's ready to apply.

run-time-recheck-1.patch.gz application/octet-stream 16.8 KB

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Date: 2008-04-14 16:37:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Actually, I think I figured it out. Please look over the GIST/GIN parts
> of this patch and see if they're OK with you.

Looks good, thank you.

Why don't use suggested way for GIN index over tsvector?
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-04/msg00812.php
It's nothing to cost light optimization...

> This is still WIP because I haven't touched any contrib code, but
> as far as the main backend goes I think it's ready to apply.

Patch to all contrib modules:
http://www.sigaev.ru/misc/contrib.patch.gz

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Date: 2008-04-14 16:48:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru> writes:
> Why don't use suggested way for GIN index over tsvector?
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-04/msg00812.php

I had forgotten the details :-(. Will adopt that code.

>> This is still WIP because I haven't touched any contrib code, but
>> as far as the main backend goes I think it's ready to apply.

> Patch to all contrib modules:
> http://www.sigaev.ru/misc/contrib.patch.gz

Ooops, we duplicated work :-(. Will compare with your version before
applying.

regards, tom lane