A new take on the foot-gun meme

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: A new take on the foot-gun meme
Date: 2008-06-30 04:57:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[ after recovering from choking... ]

Tom "spot" Callaway presents a vivid new image in this line:

> What you're doing is analogous to using a loaded shotgun as a golf club,
> and what you're suggesting is that we take the safety off, because it
> interferes with your golf game.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-June/msg01501.html

So is that a "golf club gun"?

regards, tom lane

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A new take on the foot-gun meme
Date: 2008-06-30 14:29:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:57:03AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> So is that a "golf club gun"?

Maybe a gun club?

A footclub?

A foot-gun that can create 18 holes (36 for professionals)?

Anyway, with recent USian legal rulings, I anticipate we'll have to
stop talking about feet-guns. People will complain we are interfering
with their right to bare feet. Or something.

(Apologies, everyone. I guess I better go have more coffee.)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/

On Monday 30 June 2008 00:57:03 Tom Lane wrote:
> [ after recovering from choking... ]
>
> Tom "spot" Callaway presents a vivid new image in this line:
> > What you're doing is analogous to using a loaded shotgun as a golf club,
> > and what you're suggesting is that we take the safety off, because it
> > interferes with your golf game.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-June/msg01501.html
>
> So is that a "golf club gun"?

Careful what you wish for....