Re: [ADMIN] does wal archiving block the current client

Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-hackers
From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: does wal archiving block the current client connection?
Date: 2006-05-15 16:28:25
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

I've run into a problem with a PITR setup at a client. The problem is that
whenever the CIFS NAS device that we're mounting at /mnt/pgbackup has
problems, it seems that the current client connection gets blocked and this
eventually builds up to a "sorry, too many clients already" error. I'm
wondering if this is expected behavior with the archive command and if I
should build in some more smarts to my archive script. Maybe I should fork
and waitpid such that I can use a manual timeout shorter than whatever the
CIFS timeout is so that I can return an error in a reasonable amount of time?

Has anyone else seen this problem? Restarting the NAS device fixes the
problem but it would be much preferable if postges could soldier along without
the NAS for a little while before we resuscitate it. We don't have an NFS or
rsync server available in this environment currently, though I suppose setting
up an rsync server for windows on the NAS would be a possibility.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Currently the script is fairly simple and just does a 'cp' and then a 'gzip'
although we do use cp -f to copy over a possible previosly failed 'cp'.
Script is below:

. /usr/local/lib/includes.sh

FULLPATH="$1"
FILENAME="$2"

#
# Make sure we have pgbackup dir mounted
#
checkpgbackupmount

/bin/cp -f "$FULLPATH" "$PITRDESTDIR/$FILENAME"
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
die "Could not cp $FULLPATH to $PITRDESTDIR/$FILENAME"
fi

/usr/bin/gzip -f "$PITRDESTDIR/$FILENAME"
#
# Make sure it worked, otherwise roll back
#
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
/bin/rm -f "$PITRDESTDIR/$FILENAME"
die "Could not /usr/bin/gzip $PITRDESTDIR/$FILENAME"
fi

exit 0

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/

What might be more bullet proof would be to make the archive command
copy the file to an intermediate local directory, then have a
daemon/cron job that wakes up once a minute or so, check for new files,
then copy them to the network mount. You may want to use something like
lofs to make sure the archive command has finished and closed the file
before moving it to the network drive.

This is what I do, and I've never had a failure of the archive command.
-- Had a few network errors on the network drive (I use nfs) which I
fixed at my leisure, with no problems for the postgresql server.