Re: Beta2 Wrap Up ...

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Beta2 Wrap Up ...
Date: 2005-09-17 12:47:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > I thought we'd more or less dropped that idea based on Andreas'
> >
> > I've heard no argument against renaming
> pg_complete_relation_size() to
> > pg_total_relation_size()
>
> Having spent days, no, weeks deciding on that name on list I
> do not want to see it change this late, especially as we'll
> now need to go and update pgAdmin again!
>
> > and changing the functions that return an integer status
> code to make
> > them return a boolean (but I'm content with not making them return
> > void and report errors via elog).
>
> Similarly I'm not overly keen on seeing these changed again.
> These functions were discussed to death earlier in the cycle,
> and this is what everyone finally agreed on.

(Sorry I haven't spoken up on this earlier, been out of town)

I agree in not really liking the change-of-names during beta. Then
again, if it's ever going to get done, better to do it now than for 8.2.

Also, the change to pg_cancel_backend breaks backwards compatibility
with 8.0, which is a whole lot worse than breaking it with 8.1-beta1.

For example, it'll break one of my scripts. I can easily code around it,
sure, but it's still breaking backwards compatibility for what I can see
as only cosmetic reasons.

Somewhat hacked up query example of something that breaks:
SELECT sum(pg_cancel_backend(procpid)) FROM pg_stat_activity WHERE

Sure, can be fairly easily recoded with CASE, but... If nothing else
this needs to go in as a "backwards incompatible change" in the release
notes.

Also, please do *not* make it return void and elog(ERROR) in the future!
That will break exactly the above kind of applications in a way that
cannot be coded around. IIRC this specific scenario was discussed back
when the function was originally added.

//Magnus

>>>I've heard no argument against renaming
>>
>>pg_complete_relation_size() to
>>
>>>pg_total_relation_size()
>>
>>Having spent days, no, weeks deciding on that name on list I
>>do not want to see it change this late, especially as we'll
>>now need to go and update pgAdmin again!

Fortunately, pgAdmin doesn't use that function, but only the basic
pg_relation_size(). Phew!

> Also, the change to pg_cancel_backend breaks backwards compatibility
> with 8.0, which is a whole lot worse than breaking it with 8.1-beta1.

Unfortunately, core doesn't see this as backward compatibility break,
instead it's regarded as adjustment of a new function. Anything that's
not in core isn't worth a single thought....

> Also, please do *not* make it return void and elog(ERROR) in the future!
> That will break exactly the above kind of applications in a way that
> cannot be coded around. IIRC this specific scenario was discussed back
> when the function was originally added.

Seems we got around this; call us lucky...

Regards,
Andreas