Re: 32-bit ints on 64-bit linux

Lists: pgsql-odbc
From: Kelly Burkhart <pgkrb(at)kkcsm(dot)net>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 32-bit ints on 64-bit linux
Date: 2005-03-01 23:17:33
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Greetings,

I am having a problem in running some code in 64 bit unix. I'm running
unixODBC and psqlodbc-08.00.0005 on SuSE 9.1 x86-64.

If I bind a 32 bit integer using SQL_INTEGER/SQL_C_LONG and pass a value
of -1, the insert fails with an 'integer out of range' error. The
reason this happens is the sprintf near line 2658 of convert.c.

case SQL_C_SLONG:
case SQL_C_LONG:
sprintf(param_string, "%ld",
*((SDWORD *) buffer));
break;

How should this be fixed? Should SQL_C_LONG/SQL_C_SLONG be identified
with the native C long of the compiler? On Linux/GCC long is 64 bits.
On Windows 64, I believe a long will remain 32 bits.

It seems nicer to me to reserve SQL_C_LONG/SLONG for 32 bit ints and use
SQL_C_SBIGINT/SQL_C_UBIGINT for 64 bit ints.

An alternative approach would be to use:

ipdopts->parameters[param_number].column_size

to select an appropriate sprintf.

What do you ODBC experts consider an appropriate approach.

-K

> I am having a problem in running some code in 64 bit unix. I'm running
> unixODBC and psqlodbc-08.00.0005 on SuSE 9.1 x86-64.
>
> If I bind a 32 bit integer using SQL_INTEGER/SQL_C_LONG and pass a value
> of -1, the insert fails with an 'integer out of range' error. The
> reason this happens is the sprintf near line 2658 of convert.c.
>
> case SQL_C_SLONG:
> case SQL_C_LONG:
> sprintf(param_string, "%ld",
> *((SDWORD *) buffer));
> break;

It appears that SQL_C_LONG does correspond to a 32-bit integer and not
the native long.

I'm attaching a patch which fixes this, and some other questionable
sprintf format strings in convert.c.

-K

Attachment Content-Type Size
psqlodbc_convert.patch text/x-patch 1.9 KB

Kelly Burkhart <kelly(at)kkcsm(dot)net> writes:

> Replying to my own message...
>
> Kelly Burkhart wrote:
> > Greetings,
> > I am having a problem in running some code in 64 bit unix. I'm
> > running unixODBC and psqlodbc-08.00.0005 on SuSE 9.1 x86-64.
> > If I bind a 32 bit integer using SQL_INTEGER/SQL_C_LONG and pass a
> > value of -1, the insert fails with an 'integer out of range' error.
> > The reason this happens is the sprintf near line 2658 of convert.c.
> > case SQL_C_SLONG:
> > case SQL_C_LONG:
> > sprintf(param_string, "%ld",
> > *((SDWORD *) buffer));
> > break;
>
> It appears that SQL_C_LONG does correspond to a 32-bit integer and not
> the native long.
>
> I'm attaching a patch which fixes this, and some other questionable
> sprintf format strings in convert.c.

Just a note on this. There are already standardized format string
defines (when including inttypes.h) for different sizes:

PRId8, PRId16, PRId32, PRId64, PRIu8, PRIu16, PRIu32, PRIu64, ...

It may be better to use those. However, I don't know if they are
available in Windows.

Greetings,

Tomas